Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classify an incoming e-mail as a Service Request or Incident?

David Andersson April 27, 2023

Hello!

I'm trying to learn Jira Service Management to be able to implement it at our company.

We have a lot of customers(external companies) that send us e-mails. Thinking in ITIL terms, these e-mails can be both service requests or incidents, perhaps even some that could be classified as a change request. Now, we would obviously want to be able to classify these incoming e-mails as, primarily, incidents or service requests.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would work in Jira Service Managment. I know that we could use the portal to make them create issues of the appropriate type to begin with. We might do that in the future, but as it stands now that's most likely not an option.

Is there a way to do this?

1 answer

1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

Hi @David Andersson

We had the same issue with one of our clients.  What we did is that we get the email requests to the "emailed request" request type. Then when the ticket gets created, we ask the Agents to triage the issue and accordingly re-classify them as "Incident" or "Service Requests".  This would work when the # of issues is low.

Another option is to use separate emails once for incidents and one for service requests and that would be easier to manage, but may confuse customers and you will be in a situation where you will need to reclassify anyway.

Another option is to ensure that they specify in the title the type of request.  "INCIDENT" or "SERVICE REQUEST".  Then you can use automation to go through the keywords in the title or description and re-classify the request type.

Hopefully someone can chime in with other recommendations.

David Andersson April 27, 2023

Hello @Fabian Lim

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not sure I understand the first alternative. Do the agents manually create a new ticket(either service request or incident), using information gathered from the emailed request?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events