• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Calling all Mindville Insight users, we need your help! (there might be swag involved) Edited

Hello Insight users, 

As part of our (Mindville's) acquisition by Atlassian, our training team is looking to build some new Insight training materials and we want to hear from you! 

It would really helpful if you can share with us any of the following:

1. What you found difficult to learn about Insight

2. What you would like to learn more about

3. Any tips/tricks you think others should know

4. What you use Insight for (asset management, service management, inventory, HR etc etc)

We'd love your feedback on what we should include in the next generation of training materials. 

Please comment your suggestions below. If we use your suggestion, as a thank you for helping out, we'll be in contact to send some swag your way 😉! 

Thanks,
Insight Marketing & Training Teams

9 answers

5 votes

- Having Object Schema templates for Cloud (like Server has) to use
- More examples of Asset Type Configurations (Example: How to tie filling in a user name to add an employee for onboarding purposes as an example)
- This video originally by Mindville has a great demonstration of the expansion of Insight. Just covering in detail how this could all be achieved on the cloud platform would be a big help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwLkeQPOvqU&t=263s

Thanks for your reply Jeff.
We're working on these aspects for Cloud at the moment so keep an eye out!

About the video Jeff mentioned. I did something similar for the cloud today. Biggest difference is that in cloud you cannot create objects via postfunctions yet so I made similar process but it starts by creating new employee in insight and that will initialize process in HR SD by creating main onboarding ticket.

Then I used custom fields, insight postfunctions and automation for Jira to fullfill rest of the functionality. My eyes were bleeding and I was hitting my head to the wall doing trials and errors but finally I have process that works almost the same as the thing in the video.

Like Hakan Bahadir likes this

1. Where to enter the IQL to find Objects
    2. How to use insight fields in regular JQL

1. Confluence macros to show more Insight object data
    2. IQL in confluence macros to combine objects related data

1. How to remember the update of existing data, content curation
    2. Filtering the content on graohics
  4. What you use Insight for (asset management, service management, inventory, HR etc etc)

1. We use it as source of truth for our set of products, each product is one asset for us
    2. Each team member is an asset and then we build a Team Asset and assign products to them

Thanks Fabian, this was really helpful and detailed.

"How to remember the update of existing data, content curation"

+ 1 for this

How have you accomplished this?

We have automated tasks or email reminders for object owners if object has not been updated in 6 months.

I have already tried 2 times to reply, but both times it was not saved. That is why now hopefully three times is the charm.

During the 1st day of Riada days 2019 in Stockholm we had a very educational workshop. So also look at what you already have at Riada / Mindville.

I still find the Reports a difficult part of this.

I also find it difficult to apply IQL in a JQL filter. Examples in the documentation are not entirely clear.

Also pay attention to what configuration is possible with an attribute.

Explain the permissions.

I think the use of the Insight Custom fields containing the different options in terms of filtering and display is a tip to draw attention to.

And I have set up Insight Post Functions for many customers. Definitely a tip.

Regards, Marco

Hi Marco, 

Thank you for your reply. It is actually that Riada training course that we are updating and hoping to improve on. So it's very helpful for us to know what you still needed to learn yourself afterwards. 

It seems IQL in JQL is a common tricky area!

Thanks again for your tips too, 
Charlotte 

Like Marco Brundel likes this

Hi Charlotte, What options are available with reports in Insight is an interesting point for me.

Regards, Marco

EDITED

1. Object facade from groovy scripts
    2. IQL could be tricky
    3. Relation between Child - Parent attributes

1. I can consider myself as an insight expert (ask Yinon or Mathias)

1. Using insight fields instead of custom fields (users can change content without being Jira admins)
    2. Assignees support
    3. Extension of AD / Jira directory, with full sync. 
    4. Problem, Change, Service request management source
    5. Support of fully automated assignees based on assignee group based on entered inputs in issues
    6. Many more, ask Anna or Sandra, ladies should be familiar with part of them. We can arrange a call or something.

1. All of mentioned and much more :-) 

Hi Tomáš, thanks for your detailed reply! I'll have a chat with Anna and Sandra but I may just take you up on that offer of a call as the project progresses!

I would like to know if there is a away to track availability based on service relations and issue related to it

Hi Patricia, 

Can you give me an example so I can understand more? 
From your question it sounds like you have your services stored in Insight. 

And you'd like to have a way to understand what the availability (status?) of those services is based on what the services depend on and any open issues attached to them?

Is that correct? 

If so, then that is possible. When an issue occurs with an Insight object (e.g. a host) you can use post functions and/or automation rules to look for the upstream objects that depend on that host such as services. You can then change a status attribute of all upstream objects to 'issue in progress' for example. 

There's a couple of ways I can think to implement it. It may be best to speak to our support team if you want advice on how best to do it for your setup. 
Insight Support 

Thanks,
Charlotte

0 votes

Madam is this an advertisement program or channel?. Or to cater of marketing clients of many product or product it self for promotion. Or a flat from for business usage in engaging market or advertising purposes? Or gave assistant of consumer product. Give me more detail .

Hi Marino,

I'm not sure I understand your question, are you asking if I'm promoting something? 

This post is to collect user feedback on an Atlassian app to help us improve our training materials. I have no intent to promote or advertise the app.  

Best wishes,

Charlotte

What you found difficult to learn about Insight?

• Groovy Scripted Post Functions
  • Feature differences Cloud Vs DC
  • IQL especially in sync settings and related objects

What you would like to learn more about?

• Forthcoming features in Cloud
  • Pricing/ Licensing model in Jira Service Management (what happens to JIRA SW users using insight)

Any tips/tricks you think others should know?

• Use of Insight instead of jira custom fields in order to reduce administrative burden
  • Automation possibilities with Postfunctions and with Insight automation
  • Confluence Insight Macro
  • Free integrations/importers in Server and DC (hopefully soon in Cloud too)
  • Enrich/ update object data by using external REST APIs

What you use Insight for (asset management, service management, inventory, HR etc etc?

• CRM
  • HR
  • Service Management
  • Contract Inventory

What you found difficult to learn about Insight?

• Inbound and outbound references
  • referencing and filtering custom fields
  • importing data from csv
  • IQL, especially when referencing attributes

What you would like to learn more about?

• The future of Insight in Jira Software (we set up several CRM like cases and product inventories without using JSD

Any tips/tricks you think others should know?

• How to properly define your schemas / object model (the design/architecture part, less the technical implementation)
  • Automation possibilities with Postfunctions and with Insight automation
  • Confluence Insight Macro

What you use Insight for (asset management, service management, inventory, HR etc etc?

• CRM
  • Product catalog
  • HR
  • (IT) Service Management

I don’t have very detailed questions yet because I’m still trying to setup the demo.  I am standing up a service management project and need very basic functionality from insight 

basically I need a place to store applications and services as CIs with common attributes such as approver(s), related services, related KBs in confluence and the ability to “call” the “affected service” in incidents, service requests, problems, and change requests

having a very hard time getting this basic functionality situated 

Any reference docs that can guide me through cloud setup?

thanks. 

Third answer: others not saved.

1) more clarity between the relation ship between the Insight objects are needed.

e.g.:

Table a: components

Table b: component Network rack with its layers

Table c: Software installed on Components

Table d: Software licenses expiration dates contact etc.

Table e: The built network rack

How do you attach those tables together so when you hover on Table e shows all that detail as a cohesive entity

2) The video tutorials need to be updated.

3) importing also needs clarity-- have one video to do first import into table A

2nd video using table A-- doing an import to update existing records and add to table with new data--without causing duplicate records.

4) is there a way to restart the counter on a table... so when solving an import issue into a blank table the numbers are consecutive?

Used for:

asset management: hardware, software, and human resources.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Announcing Jira Service Management!

Hello there Cloud Community members! Today, we’re thrilled to announce Jira Service Management, the next generation of Jira Service Desk. Jira Service Management touts advancements in IT service ...

1,517 views 18 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you