Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule where Summary starts with different phrases

Eiríkur Baldur Þorsteinsson January 5, 2024

Hi everybody,

I am looking to build an automation rule which triggers every time an issue is created where the condition is:

Summary starts with "Automatic reply" OR "Error message".

Is it somehow possible to do this in one rule or must I create a rule for each phrase?

2 answers

2 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2024

Hi @Eiríkur Baldur Þorsteinsson 

AFAIK, as https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-31066 is not there yet, summary starts with a phrase. 

But if you are ok for summary contains, then you can use the JQL as condition for issue created event

summary ~ "Automatic reply" OR summary ~ "Error message"

Eiríkur Baldur Þorsteinsson January 8, 2024

Thank you @Fazila Ashraf

This is indeed disappointing and I agree with you that this seems like a basic requirement. I am surprised how primitive and limited automation conditions in Jira are in this regard.

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2024

Hi @Eiríkur Baldur Þorsteinsson , you could use the issue created trigger and tick the use JQL checkbox and use the below JQL. However, there is not a concept of identifying where a phrase is placed in the summary field, e.g. "starts with". So the rule would trigger anytime an issue is created that includes "Automatic reply" or "Error message" anywhere in Summary.

Summary ~ "Automatic reply" OR Summary ~"Error message"

Eiríkur Baldur Þorsteinsson January 8, 2024

Thank you @Jack Brickey

This is indeed disappointing and seems to me like a basic requirement. I am surprised how primitive and limited automation conditions in Jira are in this regard.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events