Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule to add labels for subtask based on issue type of the parent

Simon Sahli May 20, 2024

Hi Atlassian community,

do you know if it possible to have an automation rule that adds a specific label when creating a subtask based on the issue type of the parent task?

We are having several issue types in one project, but all of these issue types have the same subtask issue type. Thus is is not really possible to filter for subtask only from a specific parent issue type (as far as I know).
Thus the idea would be to automatically add a label, with an automation rule, whenever a new subtask is created that allows to filter for this.

If not possible then I am wondering if it might be a good idea (best practice) to have a separate issue type for each subtask and not one subtask issue type for all parent task.
Would that be a good idea in general? Any downsides?

Best regards,
Simon

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2024

Hello @Simon Sahli 

{{issue.parent.issuetype.name}} smart value gives you the Issue type of the parent of the sub task.

So you could write a rule, which looks for when sub-task is created, once triggered, you can check the issue type of parent and add you label. Like below screenshot. 

Please note, screenshot is of data center but cloud steps should be the same..

If your requirement is diff, please clarify.

image.png

0 votes
Simon Sahli May 21, 2024

Hi @Kalyan Sattaluri
thanks a lot, that is exactly what I needed!
The automation functionality with the Atlassian Cloud is just awesome!

In the Cloud it is even simpler than in DC, I just needed to have the smart value {{issue.parent.issuetype.name}} and compare it directly with the name if the parents issue type and it worked as expected. 
See

AutomationRule_Labels.png

I am happy and thanks again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events