Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Migration from Server - Missing Project Customers

Doug Knudsen August 29, 2024

We are having a problem after migrating JSM project from Server to the Cloud. The problem is when you try to add a "Request participant". The user/email you want to add is in the list, and you can select it, but when you try to leave the field, you get the error "Cannot add user xxxxx because they are not a customer on this service project".

I can verify that the email is missing from the Project Customers. However, the item from the list seems to come from the Admin -> Projects -> Site -> Portal-only customers listing. I can find them there.

My solution has been to add them to the Project -> Customers list but it seems like something didn't connect between the Project Customers and Portal-only Customers. We are seeing them for many (but not all) Customers. Some "customers" (e.g. email address) are duplicated between the two and they are viewed as different accounts in Jira.

My questions are:

1) Is this a normal function of after-migration clean-up? This was a migration into a working Jira install with other JSM projects with potentially over-lapping "customers"/emails.

2) Is there a way to sync them up at this point (e.g. create all missing Portal-only Customers in the Project customers), if that even is a valid action to take.

Thanks!

1 answer

3 votes
Robert DaSilva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2024

Hi @Doug Knudsen

Question: Are the "customers" you want added internal users at your company, or are they external, third-party users?

If the users you are trying to add are internal, what may be happening is they do not have the appropriate "Customer" permissions against their user. In addition, the project settings may be slightly misconfigured.

To confirm the Project settings, please navigate to the Project Settings and then to "Customer Permissions". To allow any logged-in users to submit tickets, ensure the "Channel Access" section is set to "Open".

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 3.33.26 PM.png

On a more Global level, you may also want to confirm the Customer Access settings as part of the Global Jira Service Management settings.  You can access this page by visiting this URL: <your-atlassian-url-here>/jira/settings/products/servicedesk/customer-access

You may want to confirm the settings under the Internal, and External account types. 

If the users you are trying to grant access to are internal, confirm that your company domain is included as part of the "Approved Domains" settings. 

If the users are external, you may want to allow only specific domains to create customer accounts.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 3.35.47 PM.png

Robert DaSilva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2024

@Doug Knudsen Beyond this, you are able to add individuals as "Customers" easily to your JSM project by viewing the "Customers" option in the left panel. Here, you are able to click the "Add Customers" option and invite individual users via their email.

You also are given the option here for categorizing these users into "Organizations", if you'd like to differentiate your users in that way.

Here is some documentation on the organization options available in JSM: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/group-customers-into-organizations/

Like Susan Waldrip likes this

Thanks Robert. We have all of those setting set as you suggest. This is a situation I am seeing with internal emails that have their domains verified for our Jira instance.

The one thing I am wondering about is the migration pulled all of our internal users that reported issues to the Service Desk etc. (but were never licensed Jira Users, per se), got added to our Admin -> Directory -> Users list. I'm wondering if having them there, is causing some problems. It seems like only Jira Users (i.e. licensed) should have wound up there but maybe I'm wrong. Still trying to figure out how all the different Users/Customers/People/etc. tie together.

Robert DaSilva
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2024

Hey @Doug Knudsen , the User Directory in the Atlassian Admin page should contain all users that you have on your instance, regardless if they are licensed Jira users, JSM Agents, or simply customers. You should be able to filter this list based on those who have "Customer Access to JSM" to see those users.

If you're noticing this for only internal users, I would suggest working with your admin teams to ensure that all users that have an email at your company are granted JSM Customer permissions at a minimum. This can be done through the Identity Provider settings, as well as the Default Product Access settings.

I'd start with the "User Access Settings" section in the Atlassian Admin page, found under Products > User access settings. Here, I would confirm that your company internal domain as the product role of Customer granted for Jira Service Management. This is a free product role, but should ensure that any accounts with your internal domain are given the correct product license to be a customer for any JSM portal on your instance.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 4.01.26 PM.png

Thanks @Robert DaSilva for that explanation on the Directory Users.

I double-checked the domain settings and all company domains have the Customer role for JSM as you recommended.

I think we are able to work around this when we see a problem and once we fix each one (by adding the email as a "Customer"), then it seems to work going forward. So it may just need to be something we do for the next week or two and then should generally be good after that.

Just a little extra work I was trying to avoid for agents to have to manually deal with this while learning other differences between Cloud vs Server.

Robert DaSilva
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2024

@Doug Knudsen I found a Jira Bug ticket that seems to be similar to the issue you're facing. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-5277

Could you please determine if any of these users where you receive the error have any level of Jira Administrator privileges, in addition to no Jira software or JSM licenses? I wonder if this bug has resurfaced, as it seems to be marked as Fixed.

Doug Knudsen August 30, 2024

@Robert DaSilva- None of these users have admin permissions. However, some have User (e.g. licensed) permissions but not all.

I'm pretty much resigned that we'll just need to work through the situations as they arise and in a week or two, should be over this for the most part. Once we fix a person, they seem to be fine after that. Not really a huge deal once people know how to correct the problem.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. I found it helpful in explaining how some of the user stuff works.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events