Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. mail server said: "AUTHENTICATE failed."

Shekhar Sarker February 1, 2018

When try to setup the email address, getting the above Authentication Error. However, using the email address credential, I can able to connect with webmail.

Adding to more points, currently, I have 8 JSD projects with email setup. Email setting for all of them working fine but facing issue with one email address.

I already gone through the troubleshooting documents but not no luck :-(

Here is the full error message

Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "AUTHENTICATE failed." Check out our troubleshooting docs for help resolving the issue.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018

It is likely that your webmail has been configured to make assumptions that you have not fed into your JSD system.

Authenticate failed really does mean "the mail server at the other end has rejected me".  Either you are passing over incorrect credentials, or the mail server has been told to reject you (spam?) or your server (it's a good idea to only accept mail from servers you really trust when you're running a mail server)

Have a look through the troubleshooting doc for JSD for more

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018

I had this issue before and I changed the password on the email account and reentered all of the information and everything began working again.  Try this and see what happens.

Shekhar Sarker
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 6, 2018

I try but it doesn't work.

My other mail boxes are working fine but don't understand only one mail box facing this issue. However, using the outlook/webmail, I can easily login without any authentication failed. So, there shouldn't be any issue with credential.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

You should check the mail server log to see why it is rejecting you, and maybe get more data in the Jira logs by following the troubleshooting doc above.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events