Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time record through transitions

Mohamed Mubasheer August 7, 2014

Hi Team,

We are product based company and we have 3 teams (Development, Quality & Support). I am responsible to capture time spent by an engineer from support team for reporting purpose. Currently am not able to record how much time an engineer had spent before escalating to Quality/Development.

So, i would request someone to suggest on how to capture time spent through workflow "Transitions". Let me know, if you need any additional information.

Thanks in advance

Mohammed

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2014

My advice is "be careful what you ask for." This type of request is pretty common. We have many clients that want to gather metrics around resource utilzation, etc. Based on what I have seen, the most effective way to collect this data is to make use of Jira's built-in Time Tracking feature and build your workflows so that users are forced to enter the time they spent on tasks. Your users generally want to do the right thing, so they will enter in the time they spent fairly accurately. If you find the native reporting on Time Tracking, there is an add-on to Jira called Tempo that provides additional reporting and flexibility.

A common ask is to have the timer start when someone clicks a workflow transition and then stop the timer when the next workflow button is clicked. In a vacuum, that may seem like a great way to go, but in the real world, phones ring, people drink coffee, go to lunch, etc. The clients that I have worked with that tried going this route ended up worse off than when they started with nothing, so I really can't recommend going that route. i hope that helps

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events