Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to make issue types visible on the customer portal?

Gareth Ford January 11, 2018

When looking at our customer portal, although the type of request (icon) shows on the customer view, there is no way of the customer distinguishing between whether the issues they have raised are incidents or requests.

We would like our customers to be able to differentiate between the two. I have seen that it is not possible to add the 'Issue Type' field to the view. Have you any recommendations as to how we can provide this visibility to our users? This is a pretty important part of customer service journey and wanting to be totally transparent to our customers.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Gareth Ford January 11, 2018

Thanks for such a prompt response, Susan. I am thinking more from an end user's perspective. They are just logging everything through the same portal (incidents and requests). An end user often does not know the difference between an incident and a request, so it would be great if we could group these separately to make things easier for the end user.

I fully appreciate your point around various request types being linked to a single issue type, but showing end users a different icon based on the request type they have used does not automatically tell them if they have logged an incident or a request. They may just know they are asking for something through the portal. I just want to make things as clear as possible for our customers/end users.

Would it be possible to change the naming conventions of tickets in the same project based on Issue Type to differentiate them (i.e. INC for Incidents, REQ for requests)?

Thanks

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

Hi Gareth,

So the user has to pick if they are raising an incident or a request so presumably they already know. 

I would suggest you make your icons very clear, so there's no confusion for an incident (like an exclamation mark or hazard sign) and the request might be the dialogue icon or light bulb..

The only way to differentiate the ticket type is to (INC, REQ) would be if they were in separate JSD projects, and I don't think you want that.

You could look into using the automation where you set the component based on the issue type.  The component would be displayed in the body of the request.

Hope that helps

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

Hi gareth,

This seems really strange.  By definition there can be many request types for an issue type but not vice versa.   So how would the request type NOT indicate what type of issue type?  Since issue type = Incident could not be mapped to the same request type as issue type = Request?

Or am I missing something here?

Susan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events