Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a distribution list (DL with set of users) as user name?

Karthik Sriraman July 27, 2018

Hi Team,

We are currently using jira cloud.

I want to create a distribution list (DL with set of users) as user name and make it available in "Assignee" so that others can assign bugs to this DL, so that all the user associated with the DL get notifications.

And my requirement is also such that when i tad this DL user in a Jira service desk ticket all the users associated with the DL should get notifications.

Can we assign a Jira service desk ticket to a group and tag a *Group*?

can anyone please help with steps and let me know a appropriate solution?

Thanks in Advance!

Karthik

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2018

Not directly.  One of the reasons Jira was written was that "assign to group" does not work in real life.  It allows for "someone else was dealing with it", and if you allow that, it inevitably happens.  This is bad practice and hence, the assignee should always be a single person.

If you must do this bad thing in plain Jira, then you will need to burn a licence seat with a dummy user who represents the group and has an email address that is translated to a distribution list by your email system.

Service Desk has a better way to handle this as well - instead of assigning to a group, get the group to understand that they have a queue of requests coming in and they are all responsible for them.  Then use the queues.

Karthik Sriraman July 27, 2018

Ok Nic,thanks for the details!

Like Vlado Nestorovski likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events