How can developers log work time?

Do I understand correctly that support agents (= have service desk license) can create „linked issues“ to collaborate with developers (= JIRA Software users; they have no service desk license), but the developers can’t log work time on that "linked issue"?
Info: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver036/setting-up-service-desk-users-921471667.html#Settingupservicedeskusers-limit

If that is the case, how are developers supposed to log their work time?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote
Susan Hauth Community Champion Aug 17, 2017

Hi Susi,

So the Support Agents create a linked issue in a NON service Desk project (e.g. Software project) for the developers.  The developers can log their time only in the Software project.

Cheers,

Hi Susan, thank you very much for your help. I overlooked that I can select the project when I create a linked issue for the developer team.

Do i assume rightly that the Time Tracking of the request issue (JIRA Service Desk) includes logged work time of 'Sub-Tasks' but not of 'Linked Issues'? The logged work time of my developers seems not to show up in the request issue.

time-tracking-service-desk.png

Jack Brickey Community Champion Aug 18, 2017

correct. linked issues are not included in the time log for an issue.

Hello Jack, thank you for your prompt reply. :-)

Well, it is a little disappointing that JIRA Service Desk Time Tracking does not include also the linked issues.

Susan Hauth Community Champion Aug 18, 2017

Hi Susi,

This is beyond just service desk this is a known missing? feature in JIRA. 

THis question may be of interest:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/JIRA-Time-Tracking-to-include-Linked-Issues/qaq-p/298827

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

435 views 2 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you