Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Ticketing Issue - Blank Comments

Steve Schmidt May 1, 2019

I have recently set up email ticketing for our service desk and am noticing that the email address being used is making a blank comment everytime any kind of notifiable action is taken on the ticket.  So if I (as a service desk employee) make a comment, that comment gets sent out to the user and then a minute or two later the help desk email will make a blank comment on the ticket, this is also sent out to the user.   I noticed that only on email requests is the help desk email being added as a request participant automatically.

I believe the issue could stem from the fact that the help desk email is connected to the help desk user account, this account needs service desk permissions to run automations as well as other things.  Is there any way to make it so the help desk email isn't added as a request participant?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2019

Hi Steve, i was thinking that the blank comment is resulting from some automation. Now I don't understand what you mean by the email is connected to the help desk user account. Are you saying the email you are using is setup a an Agent? Certainly that isn't necessary or wise I think. I understand that you might want to use it for the "run as" in automation but I would offer that you either use an admin or what I do is to use one of my addon system accounts for this, weird I know but it works. Finally, I'm trying to see why the email-user is being added as a participant. I assume this has something to do w/ your specific automation but unsure. Maybe if you share the details of your automation rule. You might need to disable rules individually to isolate the culprit.

Hi Jack,

When I originally configured the system, the email address for submitting tickets was different from the generic help desk user.  Now it has been changed to (unfortunately) match the help desk user I was using for automation.  I have just now broken it out, which means the help desk email is attached to an AD user (it has to be as we cant delete AD entries in Jira) but the AD user has zero permissions and zero project roles.  I have also shoved the automation onto a different user.

I am still seeing the help desk user being added as a request participant on every ticket added through email ticketing and it seems simply because that is the related email the ticket came in on.  It is also still leaving a blank comment after every actionable change still.  Is there anywhere else to look?  Any ideas how I can configure it differently? 

I have to use that email address, and that AD user has to be connected to that email address for other processes in AD.

Thanks for the help!

Also,  I am now seeing emailed tickets come in, then they are duplicated by the help desk email and the help desk email user is set as the reporter.  The user that originally submitted the ticket is nowhere to be seen on the duplicated ticket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events