Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Jira Service desk integrate with Jira Software folders or does it have its own directory?

Tripline August 28, 2019

I already have Jira Software installed on a server. I read it's best to install Jira Service Desk on the same server. When I went to install Jira Service Desk, it asks me to perform an upgrade. I am confused by this because Confluence and Bitbucket didn't ask me to do this, it was a clean install and they all had their own directory. 

If Jira Service Desk is asking for me to perform an upgrade by default instead of an install, does it mean that Jira Service Desk will share install file paths with Jira Softwre? Is Service Desk just an extra web page inside Jira or does it have its own  website and URL port as well?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2019

Hi,

You can install Service Desk to the same Jira instance where you already have Jira Software.  We have a KB to help explain the process in How to install Jira Software / Jira Service Desk into an existing Jira instance.

While you could install it separately, I tend to agree that there are benefits to just adding it into your existing Jira site instead of having to manage 2 sites, 2 databases, etc.

I don't believe that you would be required to upgrade Jira just to install Service Desk, at least this hasn't been my experience.  However you might be getting prompted to update if you're not running the latest version.   The version of Service Desk that can be installed is dependent upon the version of Jira Core that is currently installed there.  

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 5.17.24 PM.png

You can use the Try for free button to get Service Desk installed.  This method will just make sure to install a compatible version for your current version of Jira.   While that Jira Core section does have a download link for whatever the latest public release is, you don't usually have to do that just to get Service Desk installed in that same instance.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events