Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create sub-categories of issue types?

Tim Forrester September 14, 2015

I have just started using the JIRA Service Desk (server version) trial.

I want to create drop down boxes, underneath the request type or issue type drop down boxes, to divide those types into sub-categories.

For example, under IT Help, I want sub-categories for "Hardware" and "Software".

The Hardware sub-category would be further divided into sub-categories for "Desktop PC", "Laptop", "Monitor", etc.

Similarly, the Software sub-category would further divided into several types different types of software.

I will also want to get reports on these sub-categories to find out how many issues have been logged in each category over a given time period.

Can someone tell me whether any of this is possible in JIRA Service Desk?  Thanks.

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

10 votes
Tim Forrester September 17, 2015

This is exactly what I need. Thanks.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2015

Yeah no problem. Let me know if I can help, you sound a little green and jira is powerful but can be as complex as you let it.

Cristianne Bastos June 3, 2019

Where is the answer?

Like # people like this
John G November 26, 2019

?

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

I would create something like this – 

IT Help Desk Portal

• Hardware Category
    • Desktop PC Request
    • Laptop Request
    • Monitor Request
  • Software Category
    • Software Type A
    • Software Type B
    • Software Type C

You can then run Reports on Request Type or Issue Type, which ever makes more sense to your set up. Personally I'd make all Hardware Requests one issue type and all Software Requests one issue type, using Service Desk Request Types to give the user the appropriate screens.

0 votes
Tony Brown
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 7, 2020

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Atlassian will reply to this, but I was able to create multiple nested groups by performing the following actions:

1. From the Service Desk Project, click "Project Settings"
  2. Select "Request Types"
  3. Once the Request Type is loaded, click the three dots "..." button next to "Edit Workflow"
    1. Select "View in portal"
  4. Once the portal loads up, there's an option on the right which shows "Request type groups".
    1. Manually create new groupings by typing in your group name (ex: Website Issues, etc.)
  5. Save!

This set me up for exactly what I was searching for, hopefully it'll help someone else too!

Lance_Dörksen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 29, 2020

Hey,

Where do you see the three dots "..." ? I can't find them.

Screenshot maybe?

Like Tony Brown likes this
Tony Brown
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 12, 2020

Of course! Sorry, I didn't get a notification there was a response to my answer.

I hope this helps!

tempsnip.png

0 votes
Tim Forrester September 17, 2015

Am I correct in thinking this requires some JIRA programming, as described in this online tutorial?

https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/fields/tutorial-custom-fields-in-jira#Tutorial-CustomfieldsinJIRA-Step6.Buildandtestyourplugin

I am not a developer so I don't have the expertise to follow this tutorial.  JIRA Service Desk may not be the solution I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2015

If you are an administrator in jira, you can define custom fields in JIRA Administration > Issues > Custom fields. It doesn't require programming skills.

Like Steve Stavrou likes this
Sebastian Friebertshäuser
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 13, 2017

but can you create sub-issues to existing issues?

for example: Price (main issue) -> disount,... (sub issues)

thanks 

Phill Purnell January 3, 2018

Just wondering if there is a how to when it comes to setting up categories and sub-categories within Jira Service Desk?

Like Henk Smets likes this
Lindsay Siurna August 8, 2019

Hi. Did you have any luck with this?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events