Writing story points from associated 'delivery' tasks to idea tasks

ABD September 6, 2022

Hello,

I see that when issues are added to an "idea" issue on the product discovery board, the discovery board issue is linked as an 'implements' link type.

1. I would like to have the story points of the tasks that 'implement' the product discovery idea task added to said task under a new integer property i called "StoryPoints"

2. Below is the automation I am trying to build, however I cannot fetch linkedissues of the trigger issue with type implements

linkedIssues({{triggerIssue}},implements) does not work 

2022-09-06_16-23-50.png

1 comment

Comment

Chris Timms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2022

Hi @ABD ,

Shouldn't your query be:

linkedissue in linkedIssues({{triggerIssue}}, implements)

This seems to work for me if I replace the smart value with an issue ID

ABD September 7, 2022

@Chris Timms thanks for your reply. This fix worked and I see that the automation is indeed able to find the correct `implements` issue from the trigger issue.

However its telling me that it cannot find the field StoryPoints (A field I created on the implements issue [PM-58 in this instance]).

Is that because the third step in my automation is trying to apply the rule to the trigger issue and not the looked up issue?

2022-09-07_13-15-53.png

This is how my third step looks

123.png456.png

Chris Timms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2022

Your automation is trying to edit the StoryPoints value on ZL-3508 which doesn't exist because StoryPoints only exists on PM-58.

On reflection, doing something like below is a little neater than relying on your original JQL:

1.png

ABD September 8, 2022

@Chris Timms Thanks for this suggestion, I implemented it and it works great!

A question: Are "value change" triggers not triggered if the field itself is changed by automation?

I have the following hierarchy:

Task <- child of Epic <- implements product idea

I have an automation that when the story points on a task are changed, all child stories of the epic have their story points summed and update the story points of the epic.

I wanted this change in the story points of the epic to trigger this above automation we're discussing to update the product idea task. 

However this seems to not work. 

Chris Timms
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2022

@ABD there is a setting in "Rule Details" that allows you to enable a rule to be triggered by other rules:

"Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule."

Enable that on and you should be good.

ABD September 10, 2022

Thanks so much! This worked like a charm. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events