Remove "Aa" from text field

Ana Duran December 1, 2021

Hi all, 

I was wondering if you'd consider removing the "Aa" next to the free text field? I think icons for other field types are useful but for this one it just feels like it makes it harder to read and takes up space. 

Example:

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 2.25.28 PM.png

Thank you!

Ana

1 comment

Comment

Hanna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2021

Hi Ana, 

Thank you for this question. I'm Hanna, a designer at JPD, and would like to see how we can help you with it. We keep icons for consistency across the fields, so removing only this icon will bring inconsistency to the app. 

What do you think of a different icon for the text field? Text icons.png

Thanks!

Like Jesse Ontiveros likes this
Ana Duran December 2, 2021

Hi @Hanna - thank you for your quick response and options! I totally understand you want to keep consistency within the app. I definitely like the middle one the best because I think  the "T" it's a universal icon for typing. My second choice would be the first one and overall like your approach to having the icon inside a rounded square to clearly separate it from whatever the user types. The third one is not obvious to me, and I immediately think more about an incomplete hamburger menu :P 

Hanna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2021

Hi @Ana Duran thank you for your feedback! We will review and update the fields' icons 🙂

One more thing I'd like to have your thoughts on: 

icon takes up space 

With which icons do you experience it? Or is it the text field only? 

I assume in your case it's crucial to see the names of the fields, and maybe for other columns, you can try the feature we recently introduced: resizing columns in a list to free up or add some space. 

Thanks @Hanna ! I look forward to seeing how your team decides to address it  🙂

Regarding the space part - I was thinking about what you said about consistency and started picturing my board without any icons altogether. This probably sounds bold, but as I look at the board and my multiple list views, I think just having the column description would be enough. If this was the case I could move the columns even closer together and get a full view of my data (some of my vies have 16 columns).

Overall, I don't think there's a particular icon that gives me space issues, but if some (or all) didn't have it, I could move columns closer together. This is of course not a big deal and perhaps most users prefer the icons to get a visual cue of what the column represents. 

Like Hanna likes this

@Hanna Actually - another idea could be as I resize the column and shorten it, rather than the content cropping from right to left, could we start with left to right so the icon is the first item that gets cropped? 

Hanna
Atlassian Team
December 3, 2021

@Ana Duran I see how in tables with X amount of columns space becomes crucial and it's more important to see labels and not icons. I'd think of a user preference to show/hide icons in the table. I'll pass the feedback to the team to discuss how might we solve it. 

Thank you for your feedback!

Like Ana Duran likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events