Product Discovery Project vs Jira Project

Shelley Montreuil October 31, 2022

I feel like I am missing something pretty integral to the proper setup of Jira Product Discovery within the Atlassian infrastructure. I first set up a PD project but then couldn't create a ticket for that project in Jira because the project didn't exist there. When I tried to create the project there I was told that there was already a project by that name.

So I started over and created a project in Jira first then tried to create a new project in PD to link to Jira but I got the same error message that a project with that name already exists.

So I created a project with an entirely different name in JPD to link to Jira and that just feels wrong.

What am I missing?

2 comments

Comment

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2022

Jira Product Discovery is a type of project (like Jira Software or Jira Service Management). When you create the project, you select "Jira Product Discovery" under the "Products" heading from the left sidebar. There will be only 1 project template option.

When you say "I first set up a PD project but then couldn't create a ticket for that project in Jira because the project didn't exist there.", what do you mean by "there"? You were unable to create an Idea within your JPD project?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2022

Hi @Shelley Montreuil , here you go, a quick demo for what to do to create a new discovery project: https://www.loom.com/share/405aab284b1e4a33bc9b8ac87bbf983d

It's a separate project to the one you use for software delivery planning and tracking - you link ideas in a discovery project to epics/initiatives/stories in the delivery one. 

Hope that helps.

Like # people like this
Shelley Montreuil October 31, 2022

Yes, that helps but I do find it a little counter-intuitive - feels messy having two different project names for the same project.

Like Sarah Jacobson-Preu likes this
Sarah Jacobson-Preu October 31, 2022

So you'll want a Proj Discovery project, and if you want to create delivery tickets, you'll want to feed those into an existing Jira software project. This allows you to pass tickets into any existing project in Jira software. If you want a 1:1 relationship, you'll need to create a matching Jira software project to match your Project Discovery project.

Like John Price likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events