Planning Poker integration?

Lasse Lambertsen June 28, 2022

Love the beta so far! It is what we have been looking for so long.

It would be really helpful if it was possible to integrate with any existing Planning Poker solutions or natively create such a function for high level effort and business value estimations.

5 comments

Comment

Vaishali Patil June 28, 2022

Having a native planning poker solution would be wonderful

Björn Brynjar Jónsson June 28, 2022

Great feedback @Lasse Lambertsen @Vaishali Patil 

Here is a solution released last year focusing on removing the back and forth, between existing Planning Poker solutions and the Jira issue:

https://smartguess.is

It does so by integrating Planning Poker directly within the Jira backlog and Issue view.

Three questions:

1. Am I understanding you correctly, you would like to have a Planner Poker functionality as part of the "Impact assessment" view in the new Jira product discovery?
  2. What kind of Planning poker card deck would you use in this scenario?
    1. Small, Medium, Large, etc.
    2. Fibonancy? 
  3. Do you know if there is any integration point available other than custom_fields?

Just so that you know, I am working on the Smart Guess team. 

Vaishali Patil June 28, 2022

1. We would use it to determine effort. At my workplace, the lead, the functional managers and/or directors give a rough estimate before it is scheduled. 

2. Either of the card decks would work. Most likely we would use T-Shirt sizing.

3. Dont know about integration points. Not sure if I understand the question :)

Erin Mihalik June 28, 2022

High Level Effort and Business Value can be done natively in the current app. In fact when you first access it, there is an Effort field with a level of 1-5 for effort. You can then use things like Goal and goal impact rated 1-5 and a function. I thought that was the whole point of the Product Discovery tool.

Do you mean something different? Or are you just looking for a way to have a effort rating submitted like in a planning poker style?

Björn Brynjar Jónsson June 28, 2022

You are right @Erin Mihalik:

High Level Effort and Business Value can be done natively in the current app

However, the current implementation is missing one fundamental principle in Planning Poker. The principle is to prevent anchoring, which is essential when a group of people is giving input on an effort.

To prevent anchoring, team members can only see/hear other members' estimates when they have first given their own - and no one is allowed to speak their thoughts beforehand.

Like Erin Mihalik likes this
Joost Reijnen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2022

Hi Lasse and others,

Planning poker isn't on the roadmap for JPD for now. We believe also that it is typically part of an exercise in the delivery phase of epics and stories in a Jira project. A couple of the tools typically used for this are listed also on this page: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/platform/a-brief-overview-of-planning-poker

However, the flexibility that is offered in JPD can bring your a long way also to prevent anchoring. You would need as many fields and views as there are people you would like to do the planning (poker/estimate) session with, e.g. 'guestimate 1', 'guestimate 2', field, and 'planning view 1', etc. Then make sure to have all views filters the same, but fields different (use the guestimate 1 field in view 1 and 2 in 2, etc). You could use the matrix view for this, or just a list view, whatever is easier. A field with formula could then help you to add this up, or use another view to go over the results together!

Joost

Björn Brynjar Jónsson July 4, 2022

@Joost Reijnen, I think opening JPD to 3rd party developers can help here, just as it allows Jira to cover more jobs quickly.  

Knowing you are building on top of Jira team-managed projects, at Smart Guess, we would be interested in offering a one-click real-time estimation of effort/impact working something like this:

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 12.48.57.png

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 13.07.23.png

To make this work, I think you would only need to enable Jira Forge issue-panel integration of apps compatible with JPD.

It will be awesome if this is possible before JDP's general availability. How does that sound?  

Jean-Emmanuel BANQUEY
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2022

Hello all,

We are using free app Magic Estimations and as it asks for a JQL query and then a field to estimate at the beginning of a session, it's possible to choose Idea and estimate Impact or Effort (values are 1 to 5). Give it a try. ;-)

JEB

Like # people like this
Vaishali Patil July 1, 2022

Thanks for the information.. Trying out the app.. It looks like it will do what it needed and it being free is the cherry on top :)

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2022

Hi @Jean-Emmanuel BANQUEY and @Vaishali Patil 

I can confirm that Magic Estimation works for Ideas, although you can only "size" one attribute per session (e.g. Effort).  In this case, the built-in Economic Prioritization for Jira Product Discovery may be better to allow setting both Effort and Value at once on the 2x2 grid.

Also of note...Magic Estimation is currently using a free model.  From my conversations with the vendor they plan to switch to freeium some time on/after Q3 2022 (i.e. above some user license limit they charge).

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Vaishali Patil likes this
Björn Brynjar Jónsson July 1, 2022

@Jean-Emmanuel BANQUEY, @Vaishali Patil  @Bill Sheboy very interesting! 

How do you use Magic Estimation to estimate effort of "JPD - Ideas"?

@[deleted] The pricing is one of the challenges we face. We have a lot of users but only a handful want to use any given app. So paying for the whole userbase is not economical and doesn't get approved 

@Bjorn Brynjar Jonsson When you setup a new session in the app, you can specify what is your estimation field

image.png

Like Björn Brynjar Jónsson likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events