Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge ideas - how do you use this feature?

Kate Pawlak [Appsvio]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Recently, I've been exploring the features of Jira for Product Discovery, and one feature that has caught my attention is the Merge feature. I'm a bit puzzled about its purpose and how it can be useful, so I thought it would be great to start a discussion here and gather insights from the community.

Like many of you, when I or my colleagues have an idea, we typically check the project first to see if a similar idea already exists. So, initially, I was a bit confused about why we would need a Merge feature. After all, if we're vigilant about checking for duplicates, shouldn't this problem be minimized?

3 comments

Tom Haapanen September 18, 2023

Not all contributors will be as vigilant, though. And, in some cases, another seemingly different idea may cover the requested functionality.

The more complex the project, the more useful this feature will be, I think.

Like # people like this
Lindsey Strong September 18, 2023

We've set up an easy channel of non-technical folks to submit ideas. It allows us to triage and merge if necessary,  while keeping them informed of the path their request took. 

Like # people like this
J Conners September 18, 2023

I think it depends on whether you restrict idea generation to licensed product users or you permit contributors to create ideas. In the latter case, having the ability to merge ideas can be very useful.

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

Like others have said, it really depends on who is allowed to create ideas. We use a different application for customer feedback, but it works similarly and I merge ideas frequently.

One thing the other app (Pendo Feedback) does nicely is that it prompts users to select an already open idea based on their request description. Then, they can select one from the list or keep their own. It's helped filter out duplicates quite well!

Like Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_ likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events