Link between meeting notes and ideas

Sara Di Meglio November 3, 2022

Hi,

In my organisation we have bi-monthly meeting combining Product, Tech and Research teams where we are discussing on Ideas from JPD and making a lot of decisions 

The process I currently use is the following: 

• I create a Confluence Page 
  • I add a big table with all the Ideas that we need to talk about 
  • I take notes during the meeting on every topic (update or decision) 
  • Once the meeting is over, I have to report all the decisions in the associated Idea issues

I really want to automatise this process because the last step is very time consuming. But I have not found the right way to do this:

• I still need to have a document with an overview of the Ideas discussed and the decisions associated, especially for people that have not attended the meeting 
  • I can't use comment in the ideas to directly take the meeting notes because I will not be able to have a complete report 
  • I can't just create a Confluence page with the links of the Ideas discussed because the associated comment won't be displayed and people will not open every issue to read the associated decision or update

How do you manage this in your organisations ? Any tips on how I could do this ? 

Have a great day!

2 comments

Comment

Krystal O_Connor November 3, 2022

I'm very interested in where this conversation heads. I actually do something similar for my backlog refinements. I have a running Confluence doc with a table for each refinement date. In that table, I have a link to the Jira ticket we are to discuss, the notes I have as the PM walking into the conversation (specific questions to be addressed or if it's just "point this"), and action items. 

The Confluence doc then shows on the tickets discussed.

But I can absolutely see how that doesn't really work for decision tracking on ideas.

I love that you are setting aside time routinely to go through your ideas list. That is an important practice. Some teams in my group are using a voting system to decide what to talk about or discover next. 

Anyway, just wanted to drop in and note my interest. :-) 

Nicole Howard November 3, 2022

That definitely sounds like way too much work and there must be a better way.

A couple of clarifying questions

• who needs to read this report you create after the meeting?
  • do people need to see all of the decisions made or only a subset?

An idea:

• A view sorted by and displaying "updated"
  • Add the comment field to the view
  • Clicking the comment field opens the issue on comments, enabling the user to easily see the added comments.
  • Possibly - also add product areas/ customer/ teams which would allow people to filter on only those Ideas they care about.

Missing:

• A report of the meeting 
    • I can't seem to display or export comments at all. 
    • You can export an image though
    • Possibly add the latest decision to a new field? Here I just used Public Description. (Just from the default discovery project I'm playing with)

All Ideas - Medical 2.0 Nov 3, 2022 04_11 PM.jpg

Ben Gallant November 3, 2022

Hi, just my 2 cents here:

I wonder if you can make use of the JPD Chrome extension and do a bit more here to link?  You can select text in the Confluence document, then click the Chrome extension, and then pick which idea that the selected text belongs to....

Anybody have experience using the Chrome extension? 

Here's a video that showed me some of this. 

Seems promising. 

Like # people like this
Nicole Howard November 3, 2022

I don't have experience but that looks very cool! This would definitely make adding the decisions from the confluence page after the fact way easier.

Jan-Hendrik Spieth November 3, 2022

I also think that using the Insight field is currently the best option for this scenario, or at least, it has potential to make things smoother.

The url, description, labels and impact metadata gives quite some leverage for making each insight meaningful (like, label it "pro" or "con"; use description to add the most relevant snippet from the linked Confluence page, etc.). The Crome/Edge extension has a few rough edges imho, but it can indeed make the editing experience more efficient!

What's missing might be a way to link to specific insights from other places, like Jira or Confluence. If that was possible, I imagine we could document the decisions as Insight from the start, and instead embed the insight link on the confluence page, to have all decisions in one list ...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events