How to use the Key customers field as intended?

Andreas Løseth November 23, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for letting me take part in the beta. I just started to use it, but so far I find it intuitive and really useful. I'm looking forward to really filling it up with content soon. 

How did the JPD Team think about the key customer's field?
Is the idea to add actual customers in this field or is the idea to use it as a more general field such as Small, Mid, Large customer. Or type of customer e.g. Luxury Hotel, Budget Hotel, B&B Motel

//Andreas

3 comments

Comment

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2021

Hi Andreas,

We left things wide open in the default template intentionally because it really depends on the type of customers you create products for, how many customers you have, etc. Some product managers using Jira Product Discovery tag individual customers to ideas (and give them a weight to describe their importance to the business), others use a higher level concept (customer personas, or different segments) to the same effect.

We actually have something in our roadmap to make the concept of "users/customers" more first class in the app, so you can tag users/customers to insights (and get back to them when something ships), do some segmentation, share views to specific customers, etc. But for now it's just a generic field. 

Cheers,

Tanguy

Like # people like this
Andreas Løseth November 24, 2021

Hi Tanguy,

My first thought was to add each and every customer. But since we rely on many smaller customers it can become a very long list soon. Anyway, that's what I did now, and I will probably stick to that unless it's getting too crowded. (Should not be a big problem since it's possible to search ;))

What would have been great is a way to add customers with contact information or somehow give them feedback when the idea transitions into a new phase.

What you explain in the second paragraph sounds like a very interesting concept.

//Andreas

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2021

Cool, thanks Andreas, I've added you as a +1 on this idea! 

Like Andreas Løseth likes this
Tim Gasper November 23, 2021

Would love if customers were more first class. Or even if there was support for an open-ended multi-select field (like a custom labels field). Right now I believe there is only support for a defined-set-of-options multi-select field.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 23, 2021

Hi Tim, questions here: https://www.loom.com/share/556300dd23a04245b132db9ee8abe388

Let us know!

Tim Gasper December 29, 2021

Hi Tanguy, apologies - I missed your reply somehow! I watched your Loom video - yes it’s just the ability to add these fields more quickly. We have a customers field we use in a few other JIRA boards that allow you to type and hit enter to create the label, and I was hoping to have a similar workflow with JIRA Product Discovery. It’s not that bad to have to create the options pre-emptively (so you can think of this as a strong nice to have), but the ability to just type and hit enter would match the existing user experience I and a few other of our users are used to. 

Thank you for the Loom video and for listening to feedback on this - also thanks for a great product so far!

Like Andreas Løseth likes this
Damian Witkowski April 11, 2022

Hi, that field is helpful for me - I'm able to track various ideas across our key customers, but I have a tiny issue with it - when I decide to share RM with my customers -> they can see that field - if someone is a key customer there is no problem, but if not then .... :D

Maybe there will be in the future a possibility to hide this field (or not only that field) for a specific role?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 12, 2022

hi @Damian Witkowski have you considered creating a separate view that doesn't have that field for the roadmap you share with customers?

Damian Witkowski April 12, 2022

Hmmm... it sounds like a good option :) thanks for that!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events