Feature Feedback Friday

Sara Dubuque
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2021

Hey y'all! 

We'd like to invite you to give some quick feedback on some mockups. We're hope this will turn into a semi-regular Friday thing, so let’s give it a go.

This week we're looking at how individual ideas are displayed. 

Let's set the context. You've got a list view open in Jira Product Discovery, and you're about to click on the summary of an idea. It looks a little something like this:

List.png

Now imagine you clicked on that summary-

Which of these idea views would you prefer, and why? 

Option A

Idea - Modal view.png

Option B

Idea - full view.png

Option C

Idea - Compact view.png

Please let us know in the comments! 

Thank you for your time, and have a great Friday.

7 comments

Comment

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Firstly "Feature Feedback Friday" is a fabulous idea!

I would vote for option C, as that way you can still see and interact with the list view. Plus you can evoke option A by simply clicking on the key from this "compact view"....yeah?

Option B feels like a navigational dead-end. How do you navigate back to the list view from there? (It's probably simple enough, I just can't imagine it from that Screenshot, as being as simple as C or A)

Like # people like this
Sara Dubuque
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2021

Hi Curt, thanks for your thoughts!  

Do either of these options feel clearer than option B, in terms of knowing how to navigate back/navigation seeming simple? (Feel free to say, "Nope!")

Idea - full view.pngIdea - sidebar.png

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2021

Yes @Sara Dubuque both do.

Of the 2, I prefer the 2nd one, as presumably by clicking on another list or board in the left hand side panel would take you directly there. Where the 1st one, you have to close the view, to navigate to another list, board etc.

That said, I can understand people wanting the fuller view of the 1st option as well.

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Jessie Renton June 10, 2021

Hi Sara, 

Thanks for sharing!

I agree with what Curt has said, option C is great as a default when opening an idea from the list and something we use frequently in Jira currently when working through our team board which enables looking at a feature or ticket within context. Expansion to A is also important for a more in-depth review and when the idea contains lots of information and discussion.

Like # people like this
Sara Dubuque
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2021

Thanks for your feedback, Jessie!

Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2021

Option B. 

Like Sara Dubuque likes this
Sara Dubuque
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2021

@Allan Maxwell What makes you say B - any specific reasons why it appeals to you?

Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
June 14, 2021

@Sara Dubuque It feels more familiar

Hunter Yeagley June 11, 2021

I would say option B, I almost always instinctively open up the smaller views just to be able to see everything. I am also often sharing on a TV and it is a cleaner easier way to display.

Like # people like this
Erin Mihalik June 15, 2021

So, I would actually recommend matching existing Jira functionality since I would think a lot of individuals will be used to that.  From Backlog views, Jira would do what Option C does.  From Roadmap (card) view, Jira would do what Option A does. I think when apps all do different things, it can be confusing.

Like Jessie Renton likes this
Brent Johnson June 16, 2021

My quick thoughts:

Option A: I think this would be the best option when you want to really work on an idea for more than a few seconds (not just a quick update). This would be best for non-Jira users because they instantly know how to 'get back' to their previous state.

Option B: This is closest to Jira today, which as a Jira user, I totally understand. However, if this product is looking to get product teams that may not be using Jira, this would be sub-optimal. So in my opinion, it depends on the focus of the product.

Option C: This is a really similar view to the backlog view in Jira. I like this one when you're doing activities that cause you to go through multiple ideas in a short period of time (this would be handy when we're grooming our raw feedback).

Personally, I would like a blended Option A and B. Full-screen view but the ability to close it to go back to the previous state. (Option B with an X, or Option A with an expand).

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2021

Hi everyone, 

Here's a follow-up on this topic. We're basically doing a blend of A, B and C laugh - we wanted it all! Borrowing some of @Brent Johnson 's wording:

• Instantly 'get back' to previous previous state.
  • Be able to open the idea in full view to focus on this idea only
  • go through multiple ideas in a short period of time (e.g. grooming feedback)

More details here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-Alpha/Follow-up-how-ideas-are-displayed/ba-p/1756504#M102

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events