Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Formula

Maria Figueira June 3, 2024

I have created custom formula  " Reach * Impact* Confidence / Effort "  . I have following Tanguy Crusson video on this but have 0 in the custom field...what I'm I missing?

4 comments

James Wilson June 3, 2024

Hey @Maria Figueira 

It looks as though you'll need to wrap the values for each.

{Reach} * {Impact} * {Confidence}/{Effort}
Like Anthony C likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2024

That shouldn't be required unless there are spaces in the field names

e.g.

Reach * {Goal impact} * Confidence / {Forecast effort} would work

Like James Wilson likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2024

Hi ! First things first: do you have 4 fields called Reach, Impact, Confidence and Effort in the project?

Maybe if you could share a screenshot with a view that contains these 4 fields and the formula that could help to troubleshoot what's going on

Yes I have rating fields called Reach, Impact, Confidence & EffortJPD-Rice.PNG

JPD-Rice1.PNG

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2024

OK, cool. Have you tried giving a value to "Confidence" for one of the ideas?

Nick H
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2024

Hi @Maria Figueira ,

When writing your own formula, I think it's important to note each field should be enclosed with (curly) brackets if that is not currently configured - so your formula might be something like:

{Reach}*{Impact}*{Confidence}/{Effort}

and/or also use parenthesis if order of operation matters as well:

{Reach}*{Impact}*({Confidence}/{Effort})

Hope that helps!

Nick H
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2024

Hi @Maria Figueira ,

As mentioned above, you need to wrap your fields with (curly) brackets.

I think generally a RICE score is calculated using the formula:

(Reach x Impact x Confidence) / Effort 

So your formula could be:

({Reach}*{Impact}*{Confidence})/{Effort}

^ Note each field is wrapped with (curly) brackets.

But if there is no value(s) entered for these fields, then you will continue seeing 0s or no calculated total with the formula since you would be either multiplying or dividing by 0. For example:

formula1.jpeg

We suggest at the very least entering 1 for each of the fields' values so a total can be calculated.

Hi Nick,   

As Tanguy Crusson indicated, curly brackets not required unless there are spaces in the field names and I do not have spaces in the name.   

I also have data in the fields (not in all but in some) JPD-Rice.PNG

Nick H
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2024

@Maria Figueira ,

You will need a value entered for all fields, not just some - for this to work as expected. Otherwise the calculated formula will equal 0, or will not exist.

For example with the ideas you shared, at least one of the RIC fields does not have a value entered - meaning it's 0. Multiplying by 0 = 0, so you would be dividing your Effort by a value that does not exist.

If possible, please test with adding at least a value of 1 to each of your fields. Or create a test idea and adjust the RICE fields of those to see how it is then calculated.

ok....so no empty field at all in order for the formula to work.   got it

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 4, 2024

Yep empty field = 0

Like Maria Figueira likes this
Karin van Driel June 4, 2024

Are there values in each of the fields? If one of them is null, I assume the calculation would return 0 ?

Karin van Driel June 4, 2024

Okay, weird, more comments showed up after I posted, guess I'm late to this party :D

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events