Backup Summary

Riccardo Varrazza May 3, 2023

It might be because I am new to this way of dealing with issues but I am truly struggling to find out about back up solutions. From the various posts I seems understanding Atlassian does no provide backup feature as yet but only some CSV download. I also understand that in the event of crash Atlassian provide back up from their server. 

Said that, I am still struggling with a couple of questions

• is there a link or a place where all the back up process is summarised?
  • if by mistake I delete a section of my project how can I recover the deleted section?
  • is there a contacting email for restoring the projects or the entire account to the same as few days before?

Thanks

Riccardo

3 comments

Comment

Fabrice Huart - NSI
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Riccardo Varrazza 

Good question and very complex topics.

As a first start, I can suggest you to look at the Shared responsibility model of Atlassian Cloud in terms of data and backups 

https://www.atlassian.com/whitepapers/cloud-security-shared-responsibilities

https://www.atlassian.com/dam/jcr:65400ebe-0cb6-478c-bdf0-e85052490cf2/Atlassian_Shared_Responsibilites_For_Security.pdf

This explains you what Atlassian will do or not in terms of data management and recovery.

For example being able to restore only a partial part of project data is in your field of responsibilities, not in the Atlassian one.

For cloud backups solution associated to Atlassian Cloud, you can develop your own with API’s available or use solutions like Revyz https://www.revyz.io

Hope this helps you in your research ?

Have a wonderful day,

Fabrice 

Like # people like this
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2023

Hi Riccardo 

Atlassian back ups your data everyday in case of an incident on our side, to make sure you wouldn't loose your data, so it wouldn't cover in case of an accidental deletion of an issue.

For the moment, the self-backup and self-restore functionality of Jira doesn't support Jira Product Discovery projects.

In a nutshell, the back up restore functionality  would take a full back up of your site that you can restore in another site, in case you've deleted issues. As you can see these back up includes only 

• Issues

• Users and user group settings

• Issue attachments, user avatars, and project logos (if selected)

So it wouldn't includes dashboards or reports you might have. 

For Jira Product Discovery, you can indeed export your issues in .csv, and re import them in case you delete them by accident. There is currently no recovery process for deleted views or fields. For projects, there is a trash bin from which you can recover projects for 60 days

Like Riccardo Varrazza likes this
Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_ May 5, 2023

Hi @Riccardo Varrazza ,

If you're new to dealing with Jira backup, you may find our Jira Backup Best Practices useful. There we explained what your backup solution should include. 

1. Atllassian doesn't provide a built-in backup feature for its cloud-based products, but they provide a data export feature that permits downloading your data in CVS format. It can be used for backup purpuses, though it's not a complete backup solution. As it has already been mentioned, Atlassian follows the Cloud Security Shared Responsibility Model according to which the service provider is responsible for the security of the application, the system they operate on, and the environments the systems are hosted within while customers are responsible for backing up their data if they want to be sure to have constant access to their Jira data. Thus, it’s even recommended to use some third-party backup solutions, like GitProtect.io, to ensure complete data protection.

2. If you accidentally delete a section of your project, you can recover it from the trash. In Jira, you should go to the “Projects” page, select the “Trash” tab, and then recover the deleted section to its original location. Yet Atlassian doesn’t provide you with long-term retention, so you can restore your deleted section only within 60 days, after that period your data will be automatically deleted.

3. The provider offers a restoration service in the event of a data center outage like it was last year, but obviously, it may take some time, so it’s better to have your own backup to make sure that you can access and recover your data anytime.

You can try GitProtect bakup software for Jira Cloud on the Atlasian marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1228719/gitprotect-io-backups-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Hope the answer was helpful, 

Regards,

Daria

Riccardo Varrazza May 5, 2023

Daria, thank you very much I believe your answers are quite comprehensive

Will follow them up 

Riccardo

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events