Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto populating "Idea short description"

Jack Copsey December 6, 2023

Hi JPD team - here's a feature suggestion for JPD, in case not already on your radar.

The "Idea short description" field which comes by default with new JPD projects is one of my favourites. It's super handy to have this summary appear alongside the titles of ideas in roadmap views, especially when presenting to stakeholders who aren't as familiar with product areas.

Would it be possible for this field to be auto-populated somehow? I don't always have time to add in the description, and I feel there must be a way to display something that's "good enough" in an automated way, which can be improved later if needed.

Maybe something like an AI assistant or LLM within JPD itself which can read the idea description and summarise it - e.g. Atlassian Intelligence? Or something simpler like displaying the first couple of lines of the full idea description within the card in the roadmap view, beneath the title - I could see this being an option you toggle on/off per view.

Alternatively, if this is already possible within JPD, please let me know!

3 comments

Freddie Bendzius-Drennan December 6, 2023

Notion has something similar, where it can auto-populate a summary field based on contents of a page, very useful!

Only thing I'd add to this is we're leveraging - as I am sure many others are - this field for communicating high-level roadmap views. These need to be curated, so having a way to 'accept' and edit anything AI suggests is a must-have IMO.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2023

Hi Jack, we don't have a native feature for this, thanks for the AI inspo! We'll keep it in mind for future.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2023

Hi @Jack Copsey ,

You could configure an automation rule that edit's the idea's short description at creation to copy* the description into the short description.

*Important to note the short description can't exceed 255 characters, so the automation could pull this amount of characters to include the first few lines of the description using left(int length) smart value.

Might look something like this:

sd1.jpg

The smart value used above in the automation is:

{{issue.description.left(255)}}

which grabs the first 255 characters of the idea's description.

Here's that automation is action as well:

sd2.jpgsd3.jpg

Hope that helps!

Like Hermance NDounga likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events