Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A request for a customizable progress bar field

Brock Jolet April 26, 2023

I spent last week at the Team 23 event, which was great, and I could talk directly to the JPD team about my headaches and requests with the tool. The good news is @Hermance NDounga essentially confirmed that most of my thoughts had already been considered, and many are on the backlog. Fantastic!

Today I discussed how we want to utilize our JPD projects with my coworkers. We have gotten our leadership on board with the JPD interface because it is an easy transition from Excel documents. However, as Atlassian confirmed for me, certain data points will look different depending on a user's access to various other projects; The big one is how delivery progress appears if you cannot see the software projects where work is being done.

To that end, I would like to request a field type displaying a progress bar based on an arbitrary value that a user inputs. I.E., if I put a 75 in the field and define a range between 1 and 100, the view will display a bar that is 75% filled. This way, I could create a view where every user will see the same quick data point.

Optionally, there could be display choices, such as customizing the colors based on the value. A bonus would be if I could drive that value based on input from other fields, similar to how custom formula fields work today.

1 comment

Comment

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2023

Hi @Brock Jolet , first off: I like your thinking: progress isn't really something that can be "computed". personally I like to use "On track", "At risk", "Off track" with a narrative instead of "80% done" (which is usually when the real work starts).

You actually can create a field to something like what you described, where you give a number manually (or via a slider) and configure colours, etc.:

https://www.loom.com/share/4018785f7c5a4c088afa55bb86222901

Like Brock Jolet likes this
Brock Jolet April 26, 2023

Great video! Thank you for your suggestions.

I had not done much with the slider field type, but it has potential. Our leadership loves visuals, so they immediately gravitated to the progress indicators for delivery progress. However, they see different visuals when logged in versus when I present a view due to the permissions differences.

We are currently doing something similar to what you suggested with the "On Track" style select boxes; That does get us so far. However, variety is the spice of life, and when leadership sees you have progress bars as an option, it's tough to have to explain, "Well, yes, for some use cases, there are progress bars, but it's not entirely accurate, so instead let's use these number boxes". 😄

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2023

Thanks @Brock Jolet . That makes sense. I'd still be wary of exposing things like "delivery progress" to stakeholders as it focuses the conversation on the wrong aspects with them, but totally see where you're coming from. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events