Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Spend field in Jira porduct Discovery

Ana Figuera June 5, 2024

Hi, 

My team I want follow the time spen on each idea, because we work with suppliers how need to break down his work in time.

Can we have a Field similar to Time Spend and Original estimate in Jira for JPD?

Thanks in advance!

Ana F. 

5 answers

1 vote
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2024

Hi @Ana Figuera ,

Thank you for the suggestion. Feel free to share this within your JPD under the Give feedback tab as well. That will create an internal ticket within our engineering / PM teams' queue that they are reviewing regularly to improve JPD. In the meantime I'll get a feature request entered as well.

If you are leveraging Jira with JPD through delivery tickets, and want a way to pull the Work log / Time tracking, this other Community post might be helpful in creating an automation to track this in Jira: Sum up logged work on tasks to epic level - double counting entries

As well - we recently worked with a customer to configure the automation above, along with pulling this information into a JPD custom field through an automation outlined below in two parts:

The first half of this automation tracks any worklogs entered into the Child issues, and rolls it into the Time Tracking of the Epic:

worklog1.jpeg

1) WHEN: Work logged (All worklog operations)

2) IF: Related issues condition

• Related issues = Parent
  • Condition = Matches specific JQL
    • Matching JQL: issuetype = "Epic"

3) Branch rule / related issues

• Type of related issues = Parent
  • (Select the JPD and Jira projects this automation should apply to)

4)THEN: Log work

• Time spent = {{worklog.timeSpent}}
  • Date started = {{now}}
  • Work description* = *(Can be anything you want - but entered above: "Adding logged hours from {{triggerissue.key}}"

worklog2.jpeg

-------------------------------------------------------------

The second half of this automation adds the existing Hours logged field (0 if nothing already exists in this field) and the variable created in step 7:

worklog3.jpeg

5/6) Branch rule / related issues:

• Type of related issues = JQL
  • JQL: issue in linkedIssues({{issue.epic.key}},"implements")

• ^ This checks is any of the linked issues to the Epic "implements" or are created by a JPD idea - so multiple Epics can roll the work logs into one field.

7) THEN: Create Variable:

• Variable name = worklogHours (can be any name you want)

• Smart value = {{#=}} {{worklog.timeSpentSeconds}}/60/60 {{/}}

• ^ Formatting breaks the time into hours

8) AND THEN:

• Edit issue

• Select the JPD Number field created (Hours logged in my example)

• Enter this value = {{Hours logged|0}} + {{worklogHours}}

(Two very importing things to note with this automation:

1. The time tracked will NOT work retroactively - meaning if any worklog is edited or removed, it will not reflect with the JPD numbers field.

2. This automation will ONLY track worklogs entered into the child issues, and NOT the epic. Again - the first half of the automation rolls up the worklogs of the child issues into the epic so the idea is removing this additional tracking of worklogs.)

If you are not leveraging delivery tickets at this time, you can disregard the second half of this post. I did want to share it to the Community as some others might find this useful with their currently workflow.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 6, 2024

Hi @Ana Figuera

this is a tricky one!

You could obviously add 2 custom Number fields to your JPD project and call them Time Spent and Original Estimate, and establish conventions within your team so that the fields are used accordingly (e.g., that any time is added in hours, so that "12" always means "12h", etc.) - but that's obviously a bit of a hack.

The better option might be to link every JPD ticket to a delivery ticket as previously suggested, and do the time tracking on this delivery ticket. The challenge is then to keep an overview of all your ideas and the respective time tracking data, but if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, there's solutions for this, too - I'll provide more information below.

Best,

Hannes

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 6, 2024

... and just to expand on the last point, this is how this could look in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies. These custom issue hierarchies can be based on Jira's built-in parent/child relationships, and/or based on issue links - enabling you to view JPD tickets together with their linked delivery tickets in one view, like so:

jpd-time-tracking.gif

(I'm also using some of JXL other advanced feature's in the above view, like sum-ups and conditional formatting.)

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
June 6, 2024

Hello @Ana Figuera ,

Jira Product Discovery is keeping its ideas as Jira issues under the hood so any reporting that works for issues should also work for them.

You have two options here. One is to use the time logged by the users. However, this is not always ideal as team members tend to forget to log the time spent on issues, or in this case, ideas. Your second option is to go with duration times and track the time spent on each status.

So in order to track the time spent on each status I suggest you use a marketplace app. Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) ,the oldest and leading "Time in Status" app in Atlassian Marketplace, which is developed by my team at OBSS, has a report type that will meet your need.  Our app is available for both Jira Cloud, and Data Center. 

Timepiece mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or each assignee

Status Duration report (please see the screenshot above) which shows how much time each issue spent on each status. You can combine the time for multiple statuses to get metrics like  Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc. Status Duration Report in Detail.png

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select.  The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) or sprints is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend. 

Group By Created Month.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your JPD projects. 

Tiimepiece reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts. And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from JPD UI or via REST. Also you can export the reports in to various formats easily. 

Visit Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) to explore and enjoy a 30-day free trial to experience the full range of features.

If you wish, you can also schedule a live demo. We will provide a comprehensive overview of the application and address any inquiries you may have.

Hope it helps,

Gizem

0 votes
Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
June 6, 2024

Hi @Ana Figuera ,

Try using the Time in Status app. My team developed it.

Various reports can help you track the time an idea has been in a particular status. By analyzing the reports, you can identify bottlenecks, improve the team's performance, or optimize the project's workflow.

In these articles, we've described all the nuances in more detail - 💡 Reporting on Jira Product Discovery.

Знімок екрана 2024-05-21 о 00.30.53.png

30 days of trial for you. You can also book a demo call, and we will help you implement Time in Status in your workflows as effectively as possible. I hope this was useful for you.

0 votes
Sławomir Jałoszyński June 6, 2024

In my organization we use the Tempo add-on from the marketplace. The add-on allowed us to standardize working time settlements between various systems in the company and at the same time showed the exact involvement of individual teams in various projects and initiatives.
Of course, the add-on is paid, but in our case it worked 100%.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6572/timesheets-by-tempo-jira-time-tracking?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events