Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadmaps!

Erin Mihalik May 27, 2021

Any thoughts on a PDF export of the roadmap?  Or something along those lines?  We have quite a few stakeholders/execs that cannot be bothered with reviewing something directly in Jira and a version we could "publish" would be amazing!

Thanks!

3 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Brent Johnson May 27, 2021

I'd prefer to 'export' to a URL where it visually shows on a website instead of a PDF. Roadmunk, a tool we've used has really great options for this.

Yes, this would be an awesome capability.  If the URL would still allow different views or filters, even better. Very similar to Jira Software Cloud's own  roadmap where one can choose how to filter it, etc.

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?selectedProduct=&

Like # people like this
Owen Warburton May 27, 2021

+1 to this. Not everyone has (or wants) access to Jira, being able to easily send a link so that anyone can view our roadmap would be a huge timesaver to avoid the manual creation of static roadmaps.

Like # people like this
Colin Goudie May 27, 2021

Yep this +100. A nice way to go 'chromeless' in a shareable URL

I'm also very interested in joining up multiple projects into roadmaps particularly when we have discovery here and other items in delivery in other projects. I know I can track everything as ideas but some things are purely technical and I don't want my discovery boards to be too full of developer epics such as 'Rails upgrades' etc..

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
0 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2021

Thanks everyone - it's definitely something we want to help solve. 

Here's how we're currently looking at this: sharing roadmaps (Loom, 3min)

Please let us know what you think.

I'm particularly interested in the concern you raised re: needing a Jira account to access the information. Without that it makes things a whole lot more complicated on our end (e.g. re: security/permissions) so I want to make sure I get that right. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2021

@Erin Mihalik @Colin Goudie @Owen Warburton @Brent Johnson penny for your thoughts? Thanks :) 

Brent Johnson May 31, 2021

Sent the viewing request :)

Colin Goudie May 31, 2021

Sent request too

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2021

woops sorry, I made it public!

Owen Warburton June 1, 2021

Thanks for sharing Tanguy, this looks really promising. I'm definitely a fan of being able to share the dynamic roadmap so that people are always getting the latest view and it also allows much more flexibility e.g. allowing the user to filter to what they care about (not possible on a pdf, jpg etc). Static could be useful if people are wanting to share a view that doesn't change, but personally this doesn't really suit our use case.

Full screen view looks great, definitely minimising all the surrounding "noise" is fantastic for ensuring people know what to look at.

Forcing login to Jira is still the concern for me, Roadmaps should be super accessible and generally available to anyone in the organisation (and potentially wider) so that they can see the direction a product is going. Making everyone in an organisation create a Jira account is impractical and there is also an associated cost when they aren't really using Jira, just viewing a roadmap. If it is a read only view, then permissions shouldn't be a problem.

As a workaround if we could generate a static roadmap we would share this instead of the dynamic one, but that would be a shame.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 2, 2021

Thanks for the feedback @Owen Warburton. What if we made it free for people to be able to view and comment on roadmaps with their Atlassian account - would it still be a problem then? A bit like what you can do with Jira Service Management today (customers don't pay).

Not to bore you with the details, but permissions are a problem even for view access - everything our products do (including getting a list of ideas/issues) is tied to a user account (so we make sure we don't expose data someone is not meant to access). Which means that our options are:

1. Dynamic roadmaps (always up to date): need an Atlassian account
  2. Static roadmaps (point in time export, e.g. PNG, PDF): no need for an account

We're looking at what it would take to do #2 as a stop gap solution (e.g. to share a roadmap with a customer via email). 

Brent Johnson June 2, 2021

Hey @Tanguy Crusson  - This is looking good.

Dynamic Roadmap: For our team, we would primarily use dynamic roadmaps, and the full-screen view would fit our need to show only what is relevant to the stakeholder(s) seeing that view.

Jira Account: Not all team members have Jira/Atlassian account, so it would be ideal if that wasn't a blocker, even if it's a free account for view-only access. Ideally, a public URL could be 'locked down' by a password. Usually, it's leadership-level members who don't want to be bothered with another login.

Static Roadmap: The only time when we use a static roadmap is for board/shareholder meetings. For this, we use Google slides. In our other Roadmapping tool, we'd export to PDF, then upload the PDF/image to Google slides. A nice to have would be an integration to sync a Jira > Google Slides... but that would be pretty low on my priority list.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 2, 2021

Thanks @Brent Johnson !

Regardless, we're looking at ways to quickly export a PNG, which would help for the static roadmap part.

Colin Goudie June 2, 2021

Tanguy, how does the public share work in Confluence? Since Confluence has read/write permissions too but has added a public share

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 2, 2021

Funny you should ask @Colin Goudie we just got this to work in our staging environment yesterday: paste a link to a view in a Confluence page and it embeds a read-only, always up to date, version of the view into the page: 

image (48).png

We're yet to test what it does in a public share, but the way it works is only users with permissions to open the view will see it. 

0 votes
Dan Zaidenband May 27, 2021

I know it's not what you're asking, but might help you... What we do, is we export Jira ideas/epics to MURAL and make a nicer presentation for the roadmap, it helps us be more visual in storytelling and stakeholders appreciate it

I appreciate this and thank you.  We do use a more pretty stakeholder roadmap although that means editing or modifying it every time it is changed and doesn't use the system of record which is the actual Jira items.  My request is because this new app already has a card based roadmap in it.  The ability to export or launch to a URL means not needing to recreate the format in another tool.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2021

What Erin said is something we heard many PMs mention as a pain point: having one source of truth for the latest roadmap, automatically updated based on the current status of stuff, so stakeholders can self-serve. That would remove a lot of point-to-point questions.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events