Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Discovery & Custom Fields (default value)

Ashleigh Lodge July 26, 2024

We're exploring Product Discovery to replace a similar tool and are really excited about the features and functionality that currently exist. The lack of a way to collect ideas is a bit of a drawback compared to our previous tool, but we can deal with a manual process for now. 

However I'm running into an issue where creating an idea doesn't automatically set the value of an associated custom field to the specified default value.

Our custom field is a multi-select list of our clients and the default value is "No Client", which works as expected for all our Jira Software projects - if no value is provided when an issue is created, the default value is selected. I associated the field w/ our Discovery project, it's available to me as a field in the settings and can be displayed on views, but creating a new idea from either the Create button in the header, or from the Create an idea button above a grid does not set this field at all - it's empty/null.

With needing to do manual data entry for ideas we were hoping that most of our internal users could be contributors with the ability to create ideas, but since I can't add this custom field to the create modal, and with Discovery and/or the field not respecting the rules for default values we're either going to have a number of (paid) creators, or leave the editing and updating of all entered ideas up to one person, neither of which is an ideal situation.

I'm open to any tips or tricks to get around this limitation and look forward to an email integration for creating ideas (our previous solution).

1 answer

0 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2024

Hello 

Default values are not yet recognized by Jira Product Discovery, but that's an improvement that we have in the backlog.

Why can't you add this field to the create modal?

Worst case that's a value you can set via automation. 

Best Regards,
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

Ashleigh Lodge July 29, 2024

Thanks for letting me know that the default values are on the to do list! Automation could be a solid temporary solution, I'll have to take a look (we're not very familiar w/ Jira automation yet).

I'm not seeing any options to add fields to the create modal within Discovery (Project Settings, Features, Create ideas), is there somewhere else to do it that I'm not seeing?

@Hermance NDounga 

Ashleigh Lodge August 1, 2024

@Hermance NDounga 

I just tried to set up an automation as you suggested and it's failing. Again, I don't know a lot about Jira automation, but the error I'm getting seems to suggest that it's not able to find the custom field, but it is associated w/ the Discovery project.

Do you have any additional information or suggestions?

Automation config:

automation_config.PNG

Automation audit log:

automation_audit.PNG

I tried to test it in another project, but since the default value is respected in non-Discovery projects the rule I created wouldn't trigger.

Ashleigh Lodge August 8, 2024

@Hermance NDounga

We're looking to go live in the next week or so and this gap in Product Discovery is throwing a big wrench into our process. If you have any additional information about using an automation to set the default value, or could even confirm that it's a known bug, that would be very helpful.

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2024

Hi Ashleigh, 

To add fields to the create modal, you can go in Project settings > Feature > Create ideas. Then pick a view that has the fields you need. 

I'd suggest checking our product documentation for more details: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-product-discovery/docs/create-ideas-from-the-create-blue-button/

To test you automation, Make sure you are giving a unique name to your field, maybe this client field comes from another project so inside the TPD project, make sure the field is called Client_TPD, build your rule, and then rename it. 

Also I see you changed the rule config at 01:37:26 and tested the rule just 20 seconds later maybe wait a minute or two to make sure your changes are propagated. 

Best Regards,
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

Ashleigh Lodge August 8, 2024

@Hermance NDounga 

Thanks for the response. I'll see if we can use a view to show the Client field, although it's the only other field we want to add to the screen, so that's a bit awkward.

Client is a global field, available in all our Jira Software and Product Discovery projects, so I'm not sure how to give it a custom name. In the Fields area of the Project Settings the name is greyed out since it's globally defined (I assume).

client.PNG

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2024

Oh then your Jira admin would be able to edit the name, in "Custom fields" - but don't do this, this might have too much impact if it's used widely across your company.

Please open a support ticket by clicking on the "Give feedback" button on the back of the left panel, and then select support team. Include the project name, field name, rule name etc.. our support engineer will troubleshoot it for you. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events