Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh no, something went wrong!

Rizyan Irawan May 15, 2023

Hi there,

I'm excited to try the Product Discovery project, but when it loads up for the first time I keep getting this message.

Screenshot_1.png

I tried to create another project but the same message keeps popping up.

How to fix this?

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Rizyan Irawan , that's no good! We're looking into it to see if we could unblock you quickly

Thanks, waiting for your update!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2023

@Rizyan Irawan would you be available for a quick call? 

https://calendly.com/tcrusson/15min-meeting

Sure. I'll fill the form

Mihaela Madzharova May 15, 2023

Hi @Rizyan Irawan, I had the same issue on Friday. It's the Permissions, you need to add the right people to the Discovery global group - up to three, otherwise you seem to exceed the free users number. Your Jira Site admin will be able to help you.

Addition: I'm not a Site Admin myself hence can't share screenshots, but hope this was helpful enough to troubleshoot. 

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2023

@Rizyan Irawan We found the root cause: that happens when you are a Jira administrator without Jira Product Discovery product access.

We'll need to fix that (Jira administrators should be able to create Jira Product Discovery projects) but in the meantime you can solve this by asking a site administrator to go to admin.atlassian.com, find your user, click on "add product", and select "User" for "Jira Product Discovery".

We'll fix this so Jira Administrators can create Product Discovery projects (they can already manage project settings, but project creation fails)

Like # people like this

@Tanguy Crusson, I was in the same boat as am only a Jira Admin. I think there was an additional issues for me on Friday, which had to the with the number of free contributors (I believe that's the correct role name, I'm still new to the product and leaning, but very excited about trying it out). I believe that by default when the product was added to our Jira instance it granted access to all Jira Site Admins + Admins, which excited that number of 3, so we had to restrict the access to only 3 people to make it work.

Hope I'm not wrong in my understanding of how we troubleshooted that last week. And also hope that helps further.  

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2023

@Mihaela Madzharova  - there are 2 users roles: 

• Creator: someone with a license, up to 3 free creators in the free plan. Creators can do everything. 
  • Contributor: someone without a license, unlimited and free. More limited feature. 

I'm not aware of any issue with automatically giving product access to product admins but will test this now!

@Tanguy Crusson , yes, the Creator role, thanks for clarifying. I just checked and when I tried to add a forth creator into the project, a warning message popped up by the side of the user's name. However those are the project roles. What I was referring to was the global permissions, we only made it work when we limit the number of members in the Discovery Contributors Group (and maybe Discovery Users Group as well, not certain of that though) to 3. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2023

correct - when you give product access to a user, they become a "creator" on the site. You can have max 3 per site in the free plan. They can be added as creators or contributors on any number of projects on the site. 

Everyone else can just be added as contributor to the same projects. 

Oooh wait, I haven't tried what happens when adding more than 3 users to the product group directly (instead of granting people product access one by one) - I'll try this now

Like Mihaela Madzharova likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2023

Okay I tried 2 scenarios and it looks like they worked OK: 

• adding more than 3 users to a group that has Jira Product Discovery product access

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 17.00.52.png

• adding Jira Product Discovery to a group with more than 3 users

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 17.01.25.png

That's expected behaviour in the free plan. Everyone can be added to the Contributors group though. 

@Tanguy Crusson , thanks for checking. We started with 17 members, so don't think the issue was the number of users itself, but actually that we had exceeded the free users plan. The way forward without upgrading our plan was to limit to 3 members. As we were only starting to explore the product, it was too early to commit to a new plan. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events