Moving an idea to another project doesn't auto-redirect

Seth Mason June 7, 2022

I had an product discovery idea (idea-1) and needed to move it to a Jira Software Project (company managed).  Product Discovery didn't appear to have a "move" function, so I used advanced search, and then 'bulk move' to move it from idea-1 to the Jira Software Project.

I can still access the idea using the original URL:

https://x.atlassian.net/jira/polaris/projects/<discovery project>/ideas/view/123456?selectedIssue=idea-123

(btw, I cannot add comments to it or even archive it).  It appears to be a dead end.

Normally, when you move an epic/task etc between projects, and you access the original key, JIRA redirects to you to new key.  

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2022

Hi @Seth Mason , that's a limitation of the beta currently: we don't really support moving ideas between projects yet. E.g. if you move an idea to another discovery project you'll lose the connection to insights. It's something we definitely plan to support on our way to GA.

James Doyle February 17, 2023

HI @Tanguy Crusson do you have any update on when moving ideas between projects will be supported? 

I recently started using JPD and had one project per team (of which we had 5). Now we have had a restructure in the business and we have gone to 2 teams and I now need to move ideas from one JPD project to another. 

We have lots of ideas to manage and recreating manually is not ideal. 

Sorry to piggy back on this post but seemed most relevant rather than starting a new thread. 

Regards, James. 

Like Hugo Cheong likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2023

Hi @James Doyle that's coming soon - there's an engineer on the team working on this. After his change you can move ideas without losing insights, using the standard Jira bulk-move functionality. 

However remember that Jira Product Discovery is built on top of Team-managed projects, so bulk-move doesn't preserve field values (since every project has a unique set of fields, even if they have the same name). That's one of the things we plan to make easier after we ship the first change. 

Like # people like this
Michael Schmidt Linneberg May 23, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson 

Any news on this? We've been playing around with your tool now for a couple of months and love it. But we split our ideas up into two projects and really need to compile them in one project for better comparison. Would love it if it was possible to bulk-move all ideas from one project into another one.

Also, could you elaborate on what field values would persist when moving? Will everything disappear and only the title remain? Or will new fields just be created in the destination project?

Regards,
Michael

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2023

@Michael Schmidt Linneberg you can now move ideas between projects but it has limitations we're planning to address in another iteration. 

Here are your options today:

• Go to top navigation bar > Filters > Advanced issue search. 
    • Search for the ideas you want to move
    • ... > bulk move
    • This moves the ideas and preserves description, insights, comments. BUT because the fields are not technically the same between projects then you'll need to set field values in the new project for those ideas
  • From the same menu ... > export CSV (from project 1) then import the ideas into project 2. But you can't export insights this way. 
    • This way you can map field values to preserve them - but we don't export insights via that CSV yet (or comments)

These are your options today. What we plan to do is implement a simple move operation that tries to match fields based on names / field values so you can do all of this in a couple of clicks (but it's not there yet)

Like # people like this
Michael Schmidt Linneberg May 24, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson awesome! Thanks for the reply! That makes sense and I think one of them would be fine for now. Luckily one of the teams haven't started using insights yet anyway. But they've linked a lot of their issues though as well as added delivery epics to their ideas. Could this be persisted in one of the options?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2023

Yes, in the first option

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events