Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JPD Not Shown in List of Apps

Matt Richards August 3, 2023

I have a user who is in our contributors group and can access JPD if I send him a URL, but JPD is not in the list of applications he has access to when he opens up the "Switch to..." menu by clicking the icon on the top left of the screen when viewing Jira or Confluence (the highlighted menu item in the screenshot attached is missing from his list). 

This appears to be the case for all of our contributors. 

How do we get JPD listed in this list of apps for our contributors? 

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 1.23.02 PM.png

4 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2023

Hello Matt, 

The previous responses are correct - as the contributors aren't billable, they don't have a "real" access to Jira Product Discovery (they aren't listed as users of the product). 

Adding them all as "User" under Jira Product Discovery - hence making them billable - is a quite expensive solution just to have Jira Product Discovery showing in the switcher I think :/ 

As Bill mentioned,  I'd suggest instead they favorite the project (which should be possible if they are Jira - but as you mentioned this wont work for your Confluence users, so for both of them, I'm guessing they access a specific Jira Software project or a specific Confluence project, and in that case, I'd simply add a link to the Jira Product Discovery project in the corresponding Jira/Confluence left nav bar, as a shortcut :) 

Best Regards,
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

Matt Richards August 4, 2023

Thank you for your reply, Hermance. We're loving JPD and I appreciate the hard work you are doing to make it great. It's especially reassuring to see that you are watching the forums and engaging with users. 

I appreciate your explanation and suggestion that we create a shortcut to JPD in Confluence. We will do this, mostly because it sounds like it's our only option at this stage. 

I have to say though, from the perspective of an end-user, the current approach doesn't make a great deal of sense. End users do not distinguish between who is a "real" user and who is not. They know only about the availability of the various Atlassian tools used in our workflow, and from that perspective it does not make sense that all of the Atlassian tools are available to them from the menu except for JPD. Case in point... the confusion I am dealing with as I encourage people to use JPD as a place to collectively define our product ideas, and their subsequent inability to navigate to it.

As someone building a product-led organization, JPD is a place I want to have high visibility! It's a place for the shared experience of defining our product, and ultimately for the alignment of the broader product team. We want people to see it all the time! :) 

Frankly, the current situation feels like JPD hasn't been considered in the broader context of the complete Atlassian toolset used by an interdisciplinary team. I hope you guys will reconsider the current behavior and give JPD it's proper place alongside the other applications, regardless of a user's access level. 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2023

Hi @Matt Richards , to be completely transparent here's a bit more about this:

When we moved JPD from beta to GA we looked at different billing options. One of them was: everyone pays (at a lower price), or only some users pay. We settled on the latter after research. We then built that. The target solution for this would have to be like that: we create a new product access role called "Contributor", in admin.atlassian.com, for Jira Product Discovery (today you have "User" which means creator). And then admins can make people contributors by giving them this product role. This gives them exactly what you're asking for (and more). 

However, this would have taken another 6 months to ship due to internal team dependencies and competing priorities for these teams, etc. So we sat down to discuss how we could move forward faster, and landed on the solution you're using now: a group to host contributors. It's not perfect, but it works (with some limitations like the one you mentioned). More importantly though it helped us ship this product to market with a paid edition and validate whether JPD has the right pricing model or not. It's a key aspect to validating product-market fit: so far we validated that we found the right problems, the right solution to these problems, that we can distribute this solution via Jira, and the final test of PMF was: "are people actually going to take out their credit cards and pay for this?" (spoiler alert: they did). 

So here you can see a clear case of juggling many different aspects to make the best possible decision at the time, with a bunch of trade offs. Classic PM conundrums 😅

That being said, this is an intermediary step and we're not going to stop there: we are still planning to deliver the target solution (that new product role) and run a migration from the intermediary solution to that. It's going to solve quite a few other issues. But now we can do that without the time pressure of having to get the product to market. 

Like # people like this
Matt Richards September 5, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson - Thank you so much for a look inside of your process. I can absolutely appreciate the tradeoffs that must be made as you bring a product to life, and I fully understand the need to prioritize the validation of a customer's willingness to pay for your solution. 

Thank you to you and your team for all your hard work on JPD, and for being present here to talk with us about our use of it!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2023

Hi @Matt Richards 

JPD is both a product and one (or more) team-managed projects.

My understanding of how this works is the people who are on the paying licenses (or the 3 Creators for free license) can see JPD under that product menu at the top left.

For the other people like Contributors, you could rapidly access the projects by "favoriting" them under the projects menu.

Kind regards,
Bill

Matt Richards August 4, 2023

Thanks for your thoughts, Bill. I assume the function you are referring to is the one whereby a user clicks the star to the left of the project name in the projects view, and then uses the "Projects" drop down in Jira. While this might work well for Jira users, it does not help those users who are only in Confluence. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Sean Sullivan August 3, 2023

I am pretty sure this has come up before in these forums if you do some digging.  It may have been because it is still in Beta.

Thanks, Sean. I have taken a quick look, but I'll dig deeper. 

I'm holding out hope that there is another explanation, given that the product shows up for our Users and not our Contributors!

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

@Matt Richards 

Do they have the User product role when you look at the Product access of a user?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. They do not have a User product role, or even have JPD listed in the apps because we assumed that they would become a User in this way and thus a billable user (and also because, if memory serves, there was no mention of this as a requirement - could be wrong). 

Is it the case that we can grant them product access as a user and not have them added to the billed users list? 

I appreciate your guidance!

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

Creators are billable, paid users in Jira Product Discovery who actively create and manage projects, ideas, fields, and views. Contributors need a free Atlassian account. They can contribute to discovery projects but don't need all the permissions of creators.

I guess that only Creators can use the Application Switcher in Cloud, not the Contributors, but I'm not sure either, sorry.

Like Hermance NDounga likes this

Thanks again for your thoughts. To be clear, is it your understanding that if we grant them product access as a User, and we include them in our Contributors group, they will count towards our list of billed Users? 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events