Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to connect JIRA Software projects and issues with JIRA Product Discovery?

Roland Rychlik March 28, 2023

Hi,

I haven't used JIRA Product Design yet because I haven't received approval from my JIRA administrators yet, but I have a question related to possible actions between JIRA Software (which is our main Product Teams environment) and JIRA Product Design.

Based on the limitations below:

Known limitations of Jira Product Discovery beta

Product Discovery uses a completely different issue hirerarchy to Jira Software, so it is not possible, to move an existing project or issues into Product Discovery, those will need to be created again.

How do you practically introduce JIRA Product Discovery to the work of the Scrum team working at JIRA Software so as not to create a completely separate track for Product Designers, but keep them in a coherent Scrum with UX / Product Design?

Any thought and inside would be valuable. :) 

5 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Roland Rychlik the responses here perfectly sum up the current state of play.

You can create an issue in Jira Software from the Jira Product Discovery Delivery tab and choose the hierarchy level of this issue. See the image below:Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 5.20.51 pm.png

Fields aren't shared between Jira Product Discovery and Jira Software. If you want to create fields in Jira Product Discovery and have the values also appear in Jira Software, then this can be achieved with Automation.

Abel Lineberger March 28, 2023

@Rohan Swami can you post how?  I was trying to trigger off of the issue linked trigger, but noticed that implements is not one of the relationships that can be tracked.

Paolo Pastorino March 29, 2023

@Abel Lineberger I use the implements in my automation

implements.jpg

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2023

Here's an automation example I put together earlier, you can use it as inspiration.
automation1.pngautomation2.pngautomation3.pngautomation4.png

Like # people like this
1 vote
Abel Lineberger March 28, 2023

The shortcoming I find the most irritating is that there should be a function that allows you to create an issue in a company-managed Jira Software project based on a specific idea.  That function would copy over summary, description, attachments (and other common fields) and link the created issue to the delivery tab of the originating idea.  Right now it's a fairly complicated copy/pasta routine.

James Traxler March 28, 2023

Or some automation, which could lead to spaghetti code.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Like Abel Lineberger likes this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
March 29, 2023

Appreciate the feedback @Abel Lineberger I've recorded it for our internal review, we'll look to improve on this over time.

1 vote
Neta Ilany March 28, 2023

Hi, based on our experience so far I can say this:

Using the Product Discovery (PD) for initial ideation is easy to use for implementing the product ideation workflow (suggesting ideas, feedback, scoring...). 

It gets a bit complicated when you want to implement the above ideation flow into a "mature" scrum/kanban practice in Jira SW projects. 

The limitation is mainly due to the fact you can't share fields between these 2 types of projects; so you can start planning your backlog in PD - add fields such as strategy, effort, priority and even team. But -  you can't have any of these linked back to the Jira SW project - where you probably manage your epics/initiative, with existing fields.

So you can have a direct link between the Epic and an Idea, but can't share fields between these 2 entities. 

Hope this answers the concern

0 votes
Peter Heidorn March 28, 2023

For me it’s not a problem. 
The work my Product team is focused on is refining the Product Backlog. Of course we work on issues and epics as well but first thing we need to get right is that product backlog and keeping it seperate to the delivery team works really well. 

Erin Mihalik March 29, 2023

I would agree here. I also think even in linking the dev work, epics and initiatives don't need all the fields from here. 

The fields on JPD should be fields that help with deciding what to work on. 

The fields on JS should be to inform dev what to do. 

Like Peter Heidorn likes this
0 votes
Erin Mihalik March 28, 2023

The Ideas in Product Discovery get linked via the Delivery tab. They will not be part of the hierarchy but you can link them to any level of the hierarchy.

So for an Idea that may be Initiative level, link to the Initiative. For Ideas that may be Epic level, link to Epic.

The Delivery panel shows all tickets and the nested tickets in one view. It's great.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events