Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display a date range column as a simple date in product discovery ?

Jennifer Chang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 22, 2024

I'd like to receive certain tickets from product discovery from slack on daily basis, so I created a jira automation within product discovery and slack. With this slack message, I received the ticket list with date column, the date column it's format is date range not a specific date, so it's hard to read (please refer my screenshot).

Is there any way we can display the date range as a simple date and easy to read ?\

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2024

Hi @Jennifer Chang -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You appear to be sending the Slack message with an automation rule.  Is that correct?

As you have observed, JPD is using its own type of date field, which is actually text to represent a range of date values.  For example:

{"start":"2023-10-31","end":"2023-10-31"}

And so to get just one date value, that needs to be extracted, and possibly converted to a format which can be used.

Here are some examples to extract the dates for a custom field:

My start date: {{issue.customfield_10102.match(".*start\":\"(.*)\",.*").toDate.jiraDate}}

My end date : {{issue.customfield_10102.match(".*end\":\"(.*)\".*").toDate.jiraDate}}

These use the text function match() to extract the values, and the date function toDate to convert it, and finally jiraDate for the formatting.  Please use another format, as needed.

To learn more about these functions, please look here:

Kind regards,
Bill

Jennifer Chang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 23, 2024

Hi @Bill Sheboy , thank you so much for your reply! yes I was trying to send the Slack message with an automation rule. I use the example you provided, it is very useful, it works!! thanks a lot!

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2024

Bill, you're the automation hero of this community 🚀 Thanks a lot ! 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2024

Awesome; I am glad to learn that helped, Jennifer.

And thank you, Hermance. Glad to try to help  :^)

0 votes
Rabeeh Adwan May 24, 2024

Hello @Bill Sheboy , is there a way to add a field with the same type used for "Start date" in Jira?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2024

Hi @Rabeeh Adwan -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Do you mean in a Jira Product Discovery (JPD) project? 

If so, I believe all date, custom fields added to a JPD project are that type.  Outside of JPD, I do not believe that field type exists: they are Date Picker or Date / Time Picker fields.

Perhaps someone from the Atlassian team will comment to confirm this.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events