Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a Gaant Chart roadmap view in Jira Product Discovery?

David Nadri September 1, 2022

In a Jira Product Discovery project, is there a way to create a Gaant Chart view where you can see the Ideas over a timeline?

I'm trying to create a 'Roadmap' view where I can view Ideas grouped by a field (e.g. Product Area), over a timeline.

For example, instead of NOW/NEXT/LATER at the top, I'd like to see calendar months.

This would be similar to viewing epics over a timeline like in Jira Advanced Roadmaps:

Jira - Advanced Roadmaps screenshot.png

4 answers

7 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2022

Short answer: a timeline view is coming soon, the team's actively working on it now. It's probably going to be a few weeks before we start sharing something about it. 

It's not going to be a Gantt chart though - not meant to be used for delivery planning, but for prioritization discussions and high level time-based roadmaps. Think of it as "it's like a board view, except that the columns can be quarters or months or a mix of that, and cards can span multiple columns". 

David Nadri September 2, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson - thanks for the quick response. Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the timeline view in action!

David Nadri September 30, 2022

Hi @Tanguy Crusson - just checking in...any updates you can share on this?

We're now starting to test different tools for creating a high-level roadmap internally & externally and would love to experiment with the latest features for this. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2022

Hi @David Nadri I'm planning to share an update pretty soon with the latest, but basically we're about to start dogfooding this in the next week or so - if all goes well we'll start to give access to early beta testers shortly after that. 

Like # people like this
Clara Lee Paget
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 20, 2022

Tanguy - any further updates on having a Gantt view within Discovery Project? I'd be keen to do some testing if possible?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Christian Happel September 1, 2022

You can rename the columns from NOW/NEXT/LATER to anything you want.

2022-09-01 21_55_55.png

For dependencies and more detailed timelines I think the advanced roadmaps is the way to go. Because that's when it also already turned from just being ideas to a more defined roadmap.

David Nadri September 2, 2022

@Christian Happel  - thanks for sharing.

I agree, makes sense. It’s just that we usually have a mix of locked delivery epics scoped into a release along with some feature ideas that are candidates for a release (could become epics) that we are still doing discovery on/collecting insights. So, a view of both epics and ideas over a monthly timeline would be nice. And then, we can share this roadmap internally & externally to give everyone a view of what’s on track and what’s a possibility we deliver (with a status).  

Would be nice to accomplish all of this with the current Jira Standard plan, but it looks like we’d have to upgrade to Premium, and separately, Jira Product Discovery.  

Anyways, I will try to add more columns and rename them to dates/months to recreate something like this:

E571F8AC-A569-4CFE-96FF-2B4ABEE94F45.jpeg

0 votes
Jennifer Cornell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 2, 2022

@David Nadri @Tanguy Crusson How do you get a view of Jira Advanced Roadmap like you have with the plans tools? Thank you.

0 votes
Theo Skye
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 1, 2022

If you search the forums for Timeline View you might find something. Timeline views are (likely) on the Product Discovery team’s roadmap (ha!) but I’d just venture a guess that they are negotiating cannibalizing other Jira products. :) Hopefully soon though!! #want

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
September 2, 2022

Hahaha I can see someone's worked in a big company before 😅

Like Christian Happel likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events