How is everyone using functions and formulas?

Erin Mihalik July 19, 2022

How is everyone using functions and formulas?

Do you have examples of your setup you can share?

4 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Chris Hall
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2022

Hi @Erin Mihalik! One use case for custom formulas is to calculate a RICE score. Here's a demo of how to set it up: https://www.loom.com/share/a09506455d6b4571a912567d5df4169b

Jaime Capitel _resolution_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 29, 2023

I was trying RICE with a number for reach but it makes it so skewed when everything else is a rank. Thanks for this!

1 vote
Deleted user July 25, 2022

I'm using a combination of a bunch of calculations I had in different spreadsheets all over the place to smoosh together weights and scores and formulas. It brings together these frameworks and more...

My stakeholders are getting excited about this already, and hey, that's half the battle, right?

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 4.26.16 PM.png

Oliver Murray July 28, 2022

Congrats on the stakeholder win, this view must have helped!

I've been playing with some patchwork methods myself to find a better balance. EG adding a goals booster to a RICE model but without multiplying the number again. Seems the balance of the formula and input ranges is key... I wouldn't mind seeing how you assign % weights and /100 score in the Jira formula bar?

Like Chris Hall likes this
Ted June 22, 2023

@Oliver Murray @Chris Hall - do you know how the (now deleted user) above got to assign values to fields (so for example fields like customer pain, t-shirt size, roadmap) have values assigned to them that feed into the fx formula? I can't seem to replicate this or perhaps I'm just missing something obvious! Thanks

Oliver Murray June 22, 2023

@Ted looks to me like they have used a select or multi-select field but changed the weightings. JPD then brings up the total SUM of weightings for selections in a number bubble within the cell. This total number does not appear unless you have custom weightings added.

To apply weightings, start editing the field and additionally use the small 'edit weighting' option that appears on the right above your custom selections.

Ted July 4, 2023

Thanks @Oliver Murray - that was it! Fixed, and now our PO's are getting excited to create all kinds of weighted formulas. 

Like Oliver Murray likes this
1 vote
sharon.prajzner July 20, 2022

I use these to calculate scores (ICE, WSJF, Goal Impact/Effort, etc...)

1 vote
Chris Timms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2022

Currently, we are not using them. We think we can use them to drive some impartial prioritisation in the future, but right now are focusing on driving stakeholders to make leaving feedback on the idea a habit in the first place, so that when we do turn on formula driven fields, they have good data backing them up.

Potential use cases would be to track effort/impact or insight/effort but I imagine our use would evolve when they are in place.

- C

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events