Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop my roadmap items reordering themselves?

Greg Taylor May 22, 2023

Hello! Small issue, I think it's a bug vs a feature 😄

Using roadmap view, I arrange all of my ideas within their swimlanes eg Grouping by Product Area (moving ideas up and down within quarters) to make the page presentable - BUT - it only holds the formatting for a little while until another idea is added in a particular way (not sure what way exactly!) - and then all of the ordering is thrown out the window back to chaos - with big gaps all over the place.

Wondering if there's a way to avoid this happening?

3 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2023

@Greg Taylor there are different reasons this could be happening: 

1. the first one is that someone else is changing the view configuration, which is where turning off the "auto-save" feature would help (but that doesn't look like it's your issue here)
  2. the second one is just how the app works: if you create ideas and order them differently in another view they get reordered in all the views (there is one overall rank for each idea in the project. There are 2 ways you can change this behaviour:
    1. The first one is to sort the view using a specific field (e.g. a score field)
    2. The second one is to "detach" the view from the project's rank - which means that you can reorder ideas specifically in this view and the change stays local to the view. Any change to the order of ideas in other views of the project won't impact it, for example if you create new ideas, etc. To turn this on, open the "Sort" menu and, at the bottom of the right sidebar, click on "Advanced options" and switch to "View rank"
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2023

(unless there's a bug of course, in which case if you can catch it on a video recording that would be awesome!)

0 votes
Hannah Garvin May 23, 2023

Try turning the Autosave Off once you have updated the view and ordering to how you want it.  By turning autosave off after you've set your board up should hopefully ensure that adding any new ideas in the order/filtering you have set in the view don't change your set order....

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Greg Taylor -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I wonder if you are running into one of these things:

• the view has no sort order, and so the default is taking precedence
  • you have a sort order, but have auto-save disabled...and so changes to your view are not saving

Kind regards,
Bill

Greg Taylor May 22, 2023

Thanks for the reply @Bill Sheboy 

I've double-checked, and autosave is on and no sort order selected (see screenshot).

I get all the items ordered, and then if I go and add more ideas, (eventually) the ordering I've done get's 'reset' or something peculiar!

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 21.47.14.png 
Very odd... any more suggestions welcome!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2023

Hmm...I just tried this and it worked for me.

What is your role in the project: creator, contributor, admin, etc?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events