Formula expression logic and operators

Phil Middlemass July 26, 2022

Hi, I've just discovered the JPD Beta and am already sold!

However I'm looking to do something that probably isn't possible yet in the Beta, but hoping the community can help or the someone can confirm if what I'm looking is on the feature roadmap. Also JPD Automation doesn't appear to work for me at the moment so haven't delved in to that area yet to see if I can do what I want.

I'm utilising the Formula Field, and writing a custom expression, however I want to be clever with how the formula is calculated based on the value of another field. In simple terms I want to use IF..ELSE logic in the expression (or the ternary JavaScript style IF..? :) to test a variable:

IF (a == true)
    {Value} * {Effort}
ELSE
    {Value} / {Effort}

As mentioned I can't access the JPD Automation, so this may be possible using the features in there, but it would be really cool to have logic and operators in the formula field expression to get creative with that field.

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hanna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2022

Hi @Phil Middlemass

Thank you for this suggestion, currently, it's not possible to write a formula like this. I'll add it to the list of ideas for Jira Product Discovery. 

Cheers!

Phil Middlemass July 26, 2022

Thanks @Hanna 

As I can't access the Automation features right now, do you know if they are capable of achieving a simple IF..ELSE or are they not that advanced yet?

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2022

Hi @Phil Middlemass ,

I have access to automation on my JPD project, and it does have the 'if block' condition, so I am guessing you could potentially implement what you seek.

JPD1.png

Phil Middlemass August 1, 2022

Thanks @Omer Meshar 

That looks promising, hopefully (could you check and confirm), the 'Create Variable' action is available too. If so then yes I/we should be able to implement this kind of calculation and field update through automation.

Phil.

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2022

Confirmed.

Like Phil Middlemass likes this
Phil Middlemass August 1, 2022

Awesome!

Just need my service request for Automation access in JPD issue to be resolved

Adam Chapman October 11, 2023

Any news? We have a use case for this, as we have an "Impact" score and an "Effort" score. We have a formula of this:

(({Impact} * (6 - {Effort})) / 25) * 100

To determine the priority of our work, however, we've included that high-impact, high-effort items are never looked at as the priority is reduced significantly. We want to ensure that if the impact is 5/5, then the priority is always 100%. Any ideas?

0 votes
Tere Pile April 20, 2023

@Hanna given original comment/reply was July 22, curious about the state of more advanced write your own.  value1*2 + value2 + value3*2 + value4 / effort - we use Fibonacci for our scoring and weight w/multiplier on 2 values.  Having a more advanced formula would avoid using 2 systems to maintain information. 

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2022

Hi @Phil Middlemass -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, and...I'd like to see the same thing (formulas) for filters in views in Jira Product Discovery.  The only work-around I can think of is adding custom fields solely for the purpose of filtering, and setting the values with automation rules.

Kind regards,
Bill

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events