Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Creating Priority field

Seth Mason February 17, 2022

I'm trying to create a basic "Priority" field (e.g., P0, P1, P2, P3 or Low/Med/High etc), but when I go to create the field, I get an error that the name exists.  If I search through the list of existing fields I don't see "Priority". Any suggestions on how to create this field? I'd rather not have to use a different name.

3 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Nigel Budd _CV_ February 18, 2022

Hey Seth, 

Priority is a system field (one that comes with Jira)  I would advise against creating another field of the same name anyway as it will cause confusion.  I know you didn't want to, but you might have to create another field.

Priorities names in Jira can be changed, so you could rename Critical to P0, High to P1, however be VERY careful as these names are global so you could affect lots of projects, filters, so take care if you do this.

Seth Mason February 18, 2022

@Nigel Budd _CV_ How do I add the system Priority field to my list/board? As I mentioned below I don't see it listed as an option (even looking through the list of the "additional 27 fields" that I can pick from).

Like Farhana Saffi likes this
Nigel Budd _CV_ February 24, 2022

Hi @Seth Mason ,

sorry for delay in replying, been a week!

I just created my own field, I called mine "Product Priority", and gave it some options.

Taking a step back, priority is a confusing concept for Product management, most stakeholders want something straight away....don't they? :-)

The use of Weighted Scores are supposed to get away from a priority discussion, and replaces urgency/priority with what are the highest value things we can deliver that align to our business goals the quickest.

Hope that helps?

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2022

@Seth Mason you can create a field and configure it how you want, you just can't call it Priority. As @Tanguy Crusson says, Priority is a reserved (System) field that isn't available for Product Discovery (Team managed) projects.

Some suggestions for alternate words, here: PRIORITY Synonyms: 21 Synonyms & Antonyms for PRIORITY | Thesaurus.com

0 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2022

Hi @Seth Mason , as Nigel says this is a name that's reserved by Jira, unfortunately you'll need to use a different one. 

However fields you create in this project are local to the project only and shouldn't impact anything in other projects (under the hood, that's because discovery projects are Team-Managed projects).

Seth Mason February 18, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson How do I add the system Priority field? I cannot find it anywhere in my project.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2022

@Seth Mason you cannot. It's a name reserved by the system, hence why you cannot use it, but not a field available in this project. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events