Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you share how you are ranking ideas on your boards?

Colin Goudie August 17, 2021

I'd love to hear (see) how others are building priority scores for their ideas? 

We've been looking into weighted scores around strategy, linked issues and clients but would love to see how others are setting things up

3 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
quan August 17, 2021

We're only using weights for customers and have a mapping.  1 = new customer, .... 5 = paying enterprise customer.  We're still prioritizing on gut feel (hoping to move to as much data driven as possible) but the customer weight is pretty important.  If there are zero customers or the weight is a low number relative to items around it, it leads to a discussion when we plan the next quarter.

0 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2021

For the Jira Product Discovery team, we currently use 2 projects. We link the ideas between the 2 projects and copy data points over, our goal is to make it so it's easier than today to do in a single project:

Project 1: purely used to keep track of feature requests. On this one the prioritization views are based on 2 things:

• Feedback: the number of pieces of feedback weighted based on if they're asked by alpha users or Atlassian dogfooders - alpha user feedback is worth 3 times more. It's based on feedback captured via the Chrome extension, the Slack app, and feedback we receive in app via Pendo - and they're labelled (alpha, dogfood) manually
  • Potential reach:how applicable the request might be (manual rating)
  • We calculate a score based on that

Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 12.07.42.pngScreenshot 2021-08-18 at 12.07.15.pngScreenshot 2021-08-18 at 12.06.39.png

Project 2: higher level product ideas, user problems and potential solutions, informed by what we have on the first project

On this one the prioritization is easier as there's really only 5-10 high level concepts/problems we are prioritizing. We just use a Now/Next/Later board. We spend a lot of time discussing items on that board as a team in weekly sprint planning (what's coming next, what's later, how that should change based on what we've learnt in the last week or two). Some sample from it:

Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 12.22.21.png

Chris Timmer August 18, 2021

Hi @Tanguy Crusson , Hope you are well! Do you know roughly when it will be possible to do it in a single project to the nearest half year? e.g. H1 2021, H2 2022, H2 2022 etc. Thanks, Chris

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2021

It's already possible today, if I started using the product now I'd only make one. There are a few things we want to do to make it easier (i.e. the "idea hierarchy and nesting" idea above). In all honesty I have no idea when that's going to land as we're still exploring concepts there - and we're planning to launch the open beta in the next quarter... Who knows what will come up from that smile 

Like Chris Timmer likes this
Chris Timmer August 18, 2021

Hi Tanguy, Ah. I see. As a product manager, I understand. Thanks!

0 votes
Chris Timmer August 17, 2021

Hi @Colin Goudie, I am also interested in knowing how others are approaching this challenge. I am going to be exploring the JIRA for Enterprise App called Backlog Prioritisation for Free in the Atlassian Marketplace at http://appbox.ai/backlog-prioritization/. For this, I am having to migrate issues from JIRA for Teams to JIRA for Enterprise. I am keen to hear other approaches as I seek to achieve an OKR of "Increase awareness of the prioritisation of backlog items" this quarter. Thanks, Chris

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events