Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have a public facing idea submission form?

Lexi Sprague May 23, 2023

I would like a way to get ideas from customers into the jira idea board. as well as set a custom status for ideas submitted from that public form rather than the contributor form. 

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Gerzon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 19, 2024

I like this idea as well. Kind of unite what Featurebase is doing together with the Jira Idea board.  

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

Hi @Lexi Sprague

I would suggest you use Jira Service Management for the public facing ideas.  Then you can triage from JSM and if you believe it's a good candidate, you can use Jira Automation to create a ticket in the JPD or JS project so that it goes into their backlog.  

Regards,

Fabian

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2023

Thanks @Fabian Lim  - that's indeed what a lot of customers that want to do something similar ended up doing. Jira Service Management is this: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management?tab=empower-all-service-teams

We (in the Jira Product Discovery team) use it for that. When you send feedback about the product via this menu:

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 17.47.49.png

It creates a ticket that goes into a queue that we take turns looking at in the product team. Then we add those as insights to ideas.

Like Fabian Lim likes this
Ken Young
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2023

Questions on this approach:

• In using JSM, how to you accomplish showing a list of ideas to allow a community to vote/upvote on an idea
  • Can you support anonymous users, or register users who don't have an Atlassian account? 
  • How do you keep your "ideas" JSM projects away from your JSM Projects used for actual incident management/opsgenie?

Thank you

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

1. You can't in JSM. You may open up a confluence page and let them vote.  

2. Yes.  These are permissions settings.  

3. You create a separate JSM project.  There are templates for external customer feedback vs ITSM, You will have to lock the access so that they don't access the internal service deks.  

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2023

(disclaimer: it works for us, doesn't mean the following will work for your context!)

• In using JSM, how to you accomplish showing a list of ideas to allow a community to vote/upvote on an idea

We absolutely do not want to do that. Little story: I was a product manager on the team creating Hipchat, and we were using UserVoice for precisely that purpose: users could come in, suggest ideas, vote for them, and we (the product team) could crowdsource ideas. Great in theory, absolute hell in practice: whatever we did, there was always a top 1, 2, 3 list; and users were often venting frustration in the comments, sharing how Atlassian doesn't listen to customers because that idea is #1. We'd implement that idea, announce that... and #2 would take its place! And the same thing repeated itself. Sometimes we couldn't implement it technically, sometimes it was against the vision of the product, sometimes it didn't match current business goals... Many reasons, but it boiled down to: it was not a good experience for our users, and it wasn't a good experience either for the product team.

Since then I haven't used something like this (and don't plan to)

• Can you support anonymous users, or register users who don't have an Atlassian account? 

We don't need that - we get feedback from users of the product this way (and they all have an Atlassian account). I wouldn't know what to do with a comment from "anonymous". Often someone leaving feedback is just the start of a conversation: we sometimes get in touch to discuss the context behind the ask, we unpack all this, and then we can make decisions based on that. We can't make a decision purely based on a piece of feedback, even less so from an anonymous source.

• How do you keep your "ideas" JSM projects away from your JSM Projects used for actual incident management/opsgenie?

We do that in a separate project with a very simple workflow, and we don't track SLAs, etc. 

Like # people like this
Matt Jones May 25, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson 

I believe there would be merit in being able to have Customers being able to contribute ideas or be part of a conversation directly in JIRA Product Discovery rather than going through JIRA Service Desk (which we also use by the way).

The downside currently of triaging in service desk and then adding as insights, is that you lose the ability to then have conversations directly with the customer on the JPD idea. The chain of comms is broken.

And not that I am an advocate of public sharing of roadmaps and ideas portals for voting, as you alluded to yourself, I understand others are requesting the ability to share roadmaps publically and so having Customer accounts may enable this also.

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 30, 2023

Thanks for the feedback @Matt Jones 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events