Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Contributors edit their own Ideas (description/title for example)?

Ori Cohen June 29, 2023

Hi,

Is there a plan to allow Contributors to edit some details of their own Ideas (description  for example) after it was created?

Many of the Contributors in my organization asked for this option when they need to fix typos, add/change the wording or simply clarify their idea description.

Thanks,
Ori

5 answers

3 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Hoo June 29, 2023

The same worry with Erki Tammik.

I was wondering to have such a feature when I am first to JPD. But after some time of using it. I think it is not that necessary to let Contributors change their own.

If they have typos or have new things to share related to the idea, the Comments and Insights would be the ideal way.

If only a typo needs to be corrected, the PM team can do it for them because the PM team will also refine the Summary sometimes.

The main worry here is that when an idea is created, the ownership is shipping from Contributor to Creator. The Product team will spend time and energy analyzing, communicating, and designing. Let's imagine, sooner or later, the Contributor modified the idea! What if he or she changed the whole thing? It is out of control and will affect all other teams.

I like the Allow Contributors to Edit Own too. But it has to be designed with care.

Just my two cents.

Ori Cohen July 3, 2023

I completely agree with your last sentence, although there are workarounds for this, it could be nice if they could edit their own but it needs to be designed correctly. 

Ricardo_Dinis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 14, 2024

We could let the contributors edit is own ideas in To Do status in the workflow where we are still analyzing or discussing the idea, after go to status in progress or done they are not able to edit as a possible solution.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2023

Hi, 

This is not possible today. Only creators can edit ideas.

Ori Cohen June 29, 2023

Is it in the roadmap to allow such updates?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2023

Not at this point but we'll look at this when we next review this feature.

Like # people like this
Ori Cohen June 29, 2023

thanks.

David Nadri June 29, 2023

@Ori Cohen @Tanguy Crusson - if I may just share some thoughts:

From Atlassian's POV: Allowing Contributors to edit ideas on top of already being able to create (submit) ideas will remove the main differentiator between the Creator & Contributor roles, and thus, will remove one of the ways Atlassian in monetizing JPD.

From JPD users' POV: As a Contributor, I sometimes need to be able to edit my own idea (description and fields), so that I can correct my typos or clarify something I initially said that is incorrect when I submitted the idea. 

So, if I could suggest a compromise for consideration when Tanguy & the JPD team review improvements to this feature: 

Contributors can only edit their own ideas, not ideas created by other users. For other users' ideas, Contributors can add comments or insights to suggest edits/clarifications to the creator of the idea.

Thoughts?

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2023

Thanks David. Don't worry, we heard you loud and clear 🙂

We'll need to sit down and review that one when we can catch a breath. For now we're racing on a bunch of other stuff (e.g. the stakeholder experience)

Like # people like this
Ori Cohen June 29, 2023

This is what I asked in the initial question (it is in the title :)).

The meaning is that Contributors will be able to Edit ONLY their ideas and ONLY fields they filled when they created the idea.

but thanks for the clarification.

Like Erki Tammik likes this
David Nadri June 29, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson - of course! Just a comment (insight :) ) whenever that time comes. No rush. Apologies if it sounded like I was pestering you with yet another request. Trust me, I know you guys are hard at work and we appreciate all of it! 

@Ori Cohen - yes :) I am agreeing with you. Apologies if it sounded otherwise. I wanted to describe your point of view (as is mine) and Atlassian's side-by-side to help the argument for this feature. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2023

And just to be clear: it's not only a question of licensing. There's a bit of that, but there's also quite a lot of ramifications in the UX that aren't trivial, since you're able to edit ideas in a bunch of different places in Jira Product Discovery, and now we'd need to find ways to make it clear if you can only edit your own. That's why we treated it as a form for now: you can submit the idea, and that's it (you can still comment after the fact, watch it, add insights, etc.).

It's also not a widely used feature (although you'd get a different impression by reading posts in this community group!), and that also plays a part in how we prioritize enhancements. We're reviewing things like this frequently.

Like # people like this
Alex Tsai September 1, 2023

Tanguy, Atlassian needs reconsider because this is one deal breaker for us moving and using Product Discovery. Contributors should at a minimum be able to edit their own ideas. Unfortunately, I will need to look at another tool 

Like YY哥 likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
September 4, 2023

Thanks for the feedback @Alex Tsai , I completely understand. We're not able to prioritize this right now, but you can watch the community for updates (if and when we do, we'll make an announcement here). 

Jeremy Wallace
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 14, 2023

Hey @Tanguy Crusson , I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, this is my first post here. I just wanted to add in a comment that we have a large number of Contributors and while I understand all the comments and reasoning below about Contributors not editing their own ideas, I just wanted to add my own comment that this will be a necessary feature.

Maybe a solution to some comments below where we don't want the Idea being edited and dramatically changed when PMs are reviewing it would be to lock the Idea once it gets moved up to the "Ready for PM Review" field or if the "Status" changes to a specific status it gets locked.

Thanks!

Like Joshua Bertaut likes this
James Gentes December 19, 2023

Adding my $.02 - our developers are starting to use comments to finish their ideas because they accidentally submit them before they are ready. They can't delete them, and they can't edit the description, so they are left with comments as the only option.

I think the creator should be able to edit, and probably delete the idea up until the point that the state changes or some amount of time has elapsed.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2023

Glad to see that other people are requesting the same functionality. It would be nice if something on the form could be modified by a contributor, but we have to keep in mind that the ticket may have already been prioritized and planned on the roadmap by someone in creator role.
Some changes may affect the roadmap depending on what is modified by the contributor.

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2023

May I suggest to use something like a PR here (pull request, as used by developers) - where a contributor will be able to "request" a change in any of the fields of the form, and this request will be either approved or rejected by the idea's assignee?

Maybe this is a bit of a complicated solution, but it takes care of the need to merge the contributor's changes with the creator's changes (and maybe even have automatic merge, or AI merge it...)

Just an idea...

1 vote
YY哥
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2024

Maybe we can consider leting the constibutors edit the summary and descrption fields of their own submitted ideas, but not for all the fields like Roadmap, Assignee, which are not reasonable.

0 votes
Louise Baker July 9, 2024

@Tanguy Crussonany reconsideration of this?
A C-suite submitted an IDEA for the first time (yay!) and then was super irritated that he couldn't edit the idea, and wants to end our subscription now (annoyed he's paying extra for a project that's so restrictive)
There seems to be continued chatter on this topic, so curious if your team has reconsidered?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 9, 2024

@Louise Baker not at this stage - you'd need to give the C-suite person a license to edit ideas.

(Creating ideas like that works like submitting a form)

Like Louise Baker likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events