Business Team Adoption

sharon.prajzner April 15, 2022

We are trying to use the product to introduce scoring metrics, tools to identify business value, and hopefully a roadmap so delivery teams understand what's important to do next. 

We already had a huge inventory of cards in software projects (more than business owners could track or BAs could keep up to date).

Business owners feel overwhelmed and are in a sense resisting change because they don't know what to do with the "old" ideas now and yet, they know most will never move forward.

What are people doing when they introduce this tool on top of a backlog of unprioritized requests? Are you all adding the old ideas or starting fresh?

I keep having to download and import these because you can't move the old cards. 

3 answers

3 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2022

Hi @sharon.prajzner

We use the weighted shortest job first metric for our initiatives. Link: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jexo.io/blog/backlog-prioritization-techniques-the-wsjf-method/amp/

We then have custom select fields where business owners enter the details before our triage and we use jira automation to calculate the score and we focus on the highest score items first. Every initiative is assessed and estimated.

Regards

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

That Google search link is defunct for me, here's the direct link to Jexo's blog post:

Like Fabian Lim likes this
sharon.prajzner April 18, 2022

Thanks, All our teams work in Kanban, and we don't have staff to manage a SAFe model, too many roles would be empty. I did try this calculation, but it was not working for the team.

Our product committee is using Financial Opportunity, and Utilization to make decisions instead of using cost of delay. Requestors aligning to how decisions are made seems more important than knowing the cost of delay for us.   

There was a decent plug in I tried on software projects, but this beta came up and the views were nice so we are trying it.  For us, I think I could have built some custom fields in a software project and got the roadmap I needed, but the rating tools and views in this are nice if leaders will embrace the change of starting at an idea, then deciding what to do and doing requirements. It flips the process for them quite a bit.  

Like Jonathan Hau likes this
Jonathan Hau April 18, 2022

For me, Jira Product Discovery (JPD) has these huge advantages:
- Ability to create a Teams field, which I can then populate to show cross-dependencies.

- Displaying a Risk Field alongside a value field.

- Showing multiple "Filtered" fields alongside one another.

Then putting all of these items into a Matrix which allows ppl to see that visual representation.

From my perspective, leaders often don't have the nuances of the details about why something is delayed (due to lack of resourcing) because they don't have a complete view of the complexities involved in delivering a work item. So, I leverage JPD to help illustrate the nature of the dependencies and the inability to deliver so it forces the leaders to understand the tradeoffs they're making.

Like sharon.prajzner likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Erin Mihalik April 15, 2022

I would recommend both.

If you have ideas that have not had movement at all in over a year, are you going to be actioning them any time soon?  I mean items that have not even had anyone "ask" about them or no new insights on them.  In that case - close it and don't migrate it.  As Product Managers, we have a tendency to play the "But it's a good idea - even when it will not get actioned any time soon".  

Yes, could that lead to someone requesting it again.  You can still always refer to the closed item or you can start afresh with new discovery.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nina Thomas April 15, 2022

We are in a somewhat similar space with the goals of using Jira Product Discovery to introduce scoring metrics and roadmap. We are moving all items into JPD so we can merge information, attach documents, update ratings etc.  It will be somewhat of a long and manual process; however, having it in one place will give us an opportunity to share with multiple business units.

This will also allow us to have a very "clean" and prioritized backlog.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events