Are my Contributors calculated in total Jira users?

Nick May 17, 2023

I understood Contributors like potential stakeholders that don't need Jira overall access, just Jira Product Discovery exclusively, and that they are not calculated in my total site users.

I upgraded from Beta to Free yesterday.

I can't seem to be able to add contributors to JPD without adding them to my site and increasing my total active user count. Why is that and is there something I'm missing here?

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2023

Hi @Nick @Julian Geddo , you need to add users to your site but there's no need to give them access to a Jira product (meaning: they don't have to count towards your bill).

Instructions: https://www.loom.com/share/aa108aabcb744e758714ea8b1479dc3d

Nick May 17, 2023

Thanks, @Tanguy Crusson

I've tried that at first. The users didn't get added to JPD as contributors even after adding to the Contributors group.

Then I went on and created a Jira Product Discovery Invitation link and when they follow it and log in they get the Invalid Link page.  I've tried it myself with another email..

Not sure if this is JPD related since I haven't had this kind of issue before..

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 16.23.15.png

Also, the Contributors group doesn't have Product Access by default. If I want to add it it only has User as a product role, and Users are Creators by default.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 16.27.47.pngScreenshot 2023-05-17 at 16.28.20.png

A very unintuitive process with all of this..

Julian Geddo May 17, 2023

Thanks @Tanguy Crusson but sadly this didn't help on my end.
First of all I have a different view when I go to user management but none the less I followed the instructions for a user with only confluence access by attempting to add them to the group. Sadly the group did not exists and when I attempt to create a group I just end up with more creators. Any help in this direction is appreciated.

Nick May 17, 2023

I went on and accepted the reply from @Tanguy Crusson since it did answer my question.

The conclusion is that JPD Contributors are not calculated in the Billing if they are invited only as Contributors to the JPD Product. But they do need access to the company site.

All of the other comments seem to be a different issue..

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2023

@Nick the idea of the contributors group is actually to help you add contributors that do NOT have product access (otherwise it will consume licenses). Which is why the invitation link or adding product access to the group isn't a good idea. Could you please book time here so we can look at this together? So I can see what's going on: https://calendly.com/tcrusson/15min-meeting

@Julian Geddo to create the group, please have a look at this page: step 1 is what you need to do first: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/ACTION-REQUIRED-how-to-move-from-Beta-to-the-Free-or-Standard/ba-p/2355268

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2023

@Julian Geddo feel free to book time too so we can look into your setup

Nick May 17, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Thanks!

I was thinking it'd be a bit more intuitive by choosing between Contributor or Creator when adding a new user to the site and managing their access via the Product Role.

But with your guidelines, I've managed to make it work.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 17, 2023

Ah that makes sense! what you described is exactly where we want to get to - we're just not there yet

Like Nick likes this
Julian Geddo May 19, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson  Thanks for the help you solved the issue I was having with the contributor side. I'm still working out the admin part of it but I'll reach out directly if needed.

Edit: I've figured it out! It seems my settings are a it different but everything is working now :) Thanks again

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2023

Thank you, based on all this feedback we're meeting today to discuss how we can make this easier to discover

0 votes

Hey Nikola, 

I'm having similar issues after upgrading and haven't found a good solution. I've reached out to support and I'm waiting for a response. Will let you know if I get any more info, also watching this thread to see if any answers can help me.

Nick May 17, 2023

Hey @Julian Geddo did you hear back from support?

Not yet but I can keep you posted.

Like Nick likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events