Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are issue types and hierarchy coming to JPD?

James Conway July 16, 2024

It would be really useful to be able to define different types of issue within JPD, e.g. to implement Opportunity Solution Trees or treat ideas (of solutions) differently from needs or problems.

Along those lines, the ability to define issue type hierarchy and select field hierarchy would help organisation.

Is this something on the roadmap?

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2024

Hi @James Conway , what @Nick H said, but also: yes, it's on the roadmap. In fact we landed on a solution that's looking promising and the team met to kick this off, starting with a technical spike. We'll post in this community when we have something in early access (but we're still a while away from being able to do that).

James Conway July 18, 2024

Thanks @Tanguy Crusson! If my org can be part of the early access that would be really cool, I know its an adoption pain for many PM Team members. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2024

Hi @James Conway ,

It's not currently possible to create different JPD issues types besides Ideas, but it's something engineering is considering as mentioned in this page, along with a workaround:

Frequently asked questions - about the product (how do I...?)

Can we create different issue types and their relationships? (e.g. parent/child or opportunity/solution)

Not yet, but it's on the roadmap. In the meantime you can use the flexible fields and views system to do this. Here is an example:

Demo: grouping solutions by opportunities. And here's a recording of how to reproduce this configuration

William Perkins July 17, 2024

I have used this workaround to quite good effect to create a hierarchy of Goal - Initiative - Feature. 

I would still dearly love a formal structure, but the work around does what it says on the tin. 

The thing that it lacks is a very easy way to see associated child issues. I would love to open a goal ticket and see all the nested initiatives. Maybe there is a known work around for this? 

William Perkins July 17, 2024

Thanks for the explanatory video by the way, really helpful when setting up my hierarchy. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2024

Cool, thanks for the feedback @William Perkins . You can associate ideas together by linking them (then the link is visible on both ideas). 

We're currently working on a solution that makes all of this easier and more native.

William Perkins July 18, 2024

That works, thanks! 

1 vote
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2024

I'd love to see JPD get the ability to be created as Company-managed projects. This would solve for this issue, as well as the problem we are seeing in our instance with a ridiculous number of duplicated fields. Many of these fields come OOTB when you create a JPD project, so regardless of having a process in place for generating Global fields or unique field names, it doesn't matter. It also doesn't help that project admins can create fields within the project themselves, so getting everyone to follow a process for this aspect is even more difficult.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events