Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1000 Sub-issues limit

Andreas Mouritsen April 25, 2023

Our organisation has recently run into the "1000 sub-issues limit".

After looking for answers or details on this issue, I've been left guessing what it actually means or how I can resolve it.

I am currently managing a JDP board with 250 ideas that link to various different epics.

Only when an idea reaches a certain status (out of 7 statuses) will there be jira issues/epics linked to the delivery.
At the moment we have around 20 ideas with issues linked in delivery.
Once and idea is set to "Done" it is automatically archived.

Though even after archiving 4-5 ideas in the last week as a huge piece of work had finished, we started getting the warning as shown below.

Nothing seems to be broken at first sight, but I cannot find any information regarding the warning and don't know what the limitations are and what they may cause.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 10.29.15.png

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2023

@Andreas Mouritsen @Chris Timms currently the calculation of the progress is done client side. That means that every time you open a project it goes and fetches all delivery tickets and their children to calculate it. Obviously that won't scale. We're moving all this to the backend in the next few weeks, which will make things much faster (and also we can cache results etc.).

In the meantime we've applied a limit so this doesn't impact the performance of the frontend: if you get to 1000 delivery tickets+their children we currently stop there. That means that the progress calculation may be inaccurate in some ideas. It currently doesn't exclude archived ideas.

All of this will be fixed by the work we're scoping out now. In the meantime I would suggest unlinking the delivery tickets for the ideas you don't care about that much (e.g. archived or done or just not that important), and avoiding linking epics with hundreds of tickets (we heard that's a thing!).

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2023

Quick update! It looks like we introduced a bug on that field a couple of days back actually, as we were rolling out changes to improve performance of the app (we have a team focusing on this at the moment). So you'll see this even if you don't hit the 1000 issue limit. It's going to be fixed soon. 

Like Holly Holbrook likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2023

The bug is fixed

Like # people like this
Jack Arndt August 24, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson 
We recently hit the 1000 sub-issue limit warning.  Is this a permanent addition or are there still plans to address this?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2023

@Jack Arndt We've reimplemented all this, and we're about to roll this out in the next couple of weeks - it won't have this limit

Like David Laine likes this
David Laine August 29, 2023

Just a question on this @Tanguy Crusson 

If you set the Delivery Progress configuration to "Simple" - is the limit calculated at that level (epic) or does it still calculate the count right down to the sub task/feature level regardless of how you have configured the Delivery Progress bar?

Capture.JPG

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2023

@David Laine it does it at the epic level (basically if you have 2 epics, one in progress, one done, it's 50% in progress, regardless of the number of issues in each epic)

1 vote
Chris Timms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2023

Hey @Andreas Mouritsen

+1 on this issue - not sure what is causing it, perhaps the cumulative total of linked delivery tickets seems to be the cause?

I am seeing the warning inconsistently on the same tickets. Would like to understand the impact this is having on visualising delivery progress.

Regards,

- C

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events