Who wants to try the sharing a view with non-Jira users?

Hi everyone! 

Same as a previous request: we're now ready to start testing this in production:

• You can create a public URL for a view:

Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 19.19.23.png

• Anyone on the internet can open this link and get a read-only access version of the view:

Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 19.19.46.png

Who wants to try this?

45 comments

Comment

Lukas Karrer August 18, 2021

Hi, please give us a go!

Dave Hennessy August 19, 2021

Same for me please, Thanks

Like Lukas Karrer likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2021

@Dave Hennessy @Lukas Karrer we had to fix something re: product analytics for this feature, which means that I'll probably give you access tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Like Dave Hennessy likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2021

@Dave Hennessy @Lukas Karrer It's on - you can start using it. if you face any issue: please let us know!

The only fields that aren't going to show there right now are:

• Delivery progress
  • Delivery status

But we're working on them at the moment.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 25, 2021

Okay, everyone's got access to it now!

Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2021

Yes!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2021

@Allan Maxwell it's already live

Josh March 24, 2022

Hi @Tanguy Crusson,

I was trying to test creating a public view, but I don't seem to have the toggle to set the page to public. I'm just seeing an alert displaying the current privacy settings for the project itself.

Was this feature removed or does it need to be enabled somewhere else?

Cheers,

Josh

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
March 28, 2022

Hi @Josh we have since retired this feature as adoption was very low and it carried substantial technical risks. We're currently re-thinking how we can help product managers share their plans with other people. 

what is your use case? thank you!

Like # people like this
Josh March 28, 2022

Hi @Tanguy Crusson

We've got two main use cases:

First, to share roadmaps for our software development team internally with other staff members who don't have Jira licenses about what is being worked on at the moment.

Second, to share roadmaps for our software development team externally with our customers about our upcoming releases.

Ideally, it'd be able to integrate with JSM to allow feature requests to be created from that roadmap, but our main hurdle right now is sharing roadmap information with non-Jira Staff and Customers.

Cheers,

Josh

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
March 29, 2022

Thank you @Josh - that's clear!

You can actually share internally with staff members by adding them to the Jira Product Discovery product (and not the other Jira products in your site), and since JPD is free during beta that won't impact your bill. You can also embed a view in a Confluence page (if you copy and paste a link to a view in a Confluence page it will show that view as embedded on the page if people have access to it)

We don't have a solution today to share the roadmap with customers today yet though.

brent.johnson May 11, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson For us, sharing roadmaps will be essential:

Use Case: We have several internal teams which care about specific projects (i.e. marketing cares about their marketing projects on the roadmap). We've created a view for them to show our roadmap that highlights their projects. The marketing team are not Jira users so we can add them to JPD while it's free. When it's not free, there may be a discussion which leads to questioning JPD price and who has access.

How I've seen other systems handle this:

1. Have free accounts for a certain role type (i.e. viewer, contributor, etc.) - ProductBoard
  2. Have a URL and web version that's publically available but can be optionally password protected - Roadmunk (my personal favourite option for sharing - see image below)

Cursor_and_Product_roadmapping_tool_for_product_managers.png

Like # people like this
Sean Osawa at Ricksoft May 11, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson 

We are using productboard for some of our products. To share ideas and collect feedback from customers, their portal feature is necessary for us:

https://support.productboard.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056315454-Use-the-Portal-to-share-your-plans-and-collect-feedback-at-scale

We considered switching to JPD (who won't if you are using Jira and productboard ^^) but couldn't do it because of this limitation. 

I'm wondering how Atlassian is doing it. Do they use JPD only internally? 

Like Thibault Peant likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 11, 2022

That makes sense @Sean Osawa at Ricksoft - we're not really playing there today. 

There are a wide range of solutions used internally at Atlassian. For Jira Product Discovery we use the following today to manage user feedback: 

• This community group + the Chrome extension, for example this is what I just did with your feedback :) 

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 08.45.54.png

• An in-app widget + a Jira Service Management queue for inbound feedback we receive in-app:

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 08.48.35.png

• Dovetail + the Chrome extension to capture learnings from user interviews

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 08.51.05.png

• And all of this gets tagged to ideas in Jira Product Discovery

To be honest a few of us still have PTSD from our days working on Hipchat and using UserVoice to crowd source user feedback, so we're thinking through how to best tackle the feedback collection/management problem area. 

Like # people like this
Jeremy West June 5, 2022

Disappointed to see this was abandoned, public roadmap viewing is a deal breaker for us given this feature is currently available via our existing tools (product board) as much as it would be great to switch this will prevent any further progress on that plan.

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 7, 2022

Thanks for letting us know @Jeremy West !

Diluk De Silva June 11, 2022

Having the ability to share the roadmap with non JIRA and confluence users within the organisation would be something we would be very keen to see as well. 

James Traxler June 20, 2022

Would love to be able to share a roadmap with outside users of our product.

Louise Baker June 21, 2022

Joining the voices here about sharing a roadmap externally!

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Diluk De Silva June 21, 2022

would love this feature

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2022

We would love this feature as well.

Martin June 27, 2022

Hello,
I discovered the public sharing feature was removed (low adoption, technical concerns)In my case, I'd first search for a public sharing over a logged-in sharing (requiring a jira account). Mainly because the challenge about sharing and engage around a roadmap is more with people outside the team than the team itself (who is +/- daily aware of what's going on).

Considering tools:

- People from the team? They may already have a Jira account (JPD strength is its native Jira integration), I just need to give them a View access, easy.
- People not in the team (other teams, sponsors, customers) ? Few'd have a Jira account and the "Oh no, yet another tool ..." situation is real. It is not only a financial concern (when JPD leaves beta), but most of all an adoption topic (habits are hard to change).

I consider JPD as a way to share an information directly from this "source of truth", without extra-effort to make this information accessible, while viewers can have a simple interaction (vote, comment) within the tool. Exporting a PNG of the roadmap makes it quickly outdated, and any interaction will be stored outside JPD (Isn't it the aim of JPD to centralise data ?).

Do you plan to put back this feature?

Like # people like this
A G July 19, 2022

Echoing the above sentiments, we would love a organisation (internally public) facing roadmap, or even the ability to embed the roadmap onto our intranet sharepoint. Our team services a large number of non-tech internal customers (eg payroll, finance, marketing etc) as we deliver process improvements and CI initiatives for their teams. It would be great for them to be able to see where their idea is currently up to, what others may be already submitted (to prevent duplication) and what priority has been assigned. We want to be as open with our internal customers across the organisation about where our team is dedicating our resources. 

There isn't a need for them to have a jira licence assigned and this would be overkill for the majority of users. We know that while JPD is free during beta there would be a massive bill that occurs when it transitions to a paid licencing model if we just added all users in bulk. Thanks!

Like # people like this
Nicolo August 24, 2022

Really a letdown to know this feature was abandoned since it's the go-to feature for most competitors in this area (Productboard and Airfocus). I Hope Atlassian will rethink this since sharing this kind of content with internal users doesn't seem so useful to me (there are plenty of ways in Jira to gather feedback from internal users).

Like # people like this
Jeremy West August 24, 2022

:hand: yes please!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events