Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product update: advanced sorting options (early preview! Who would like to try this?)

Hi everyone!

Today we're announcing for the first time features that are specifically designed for power users of Jira Product Discovery: advanced sorting options. You can use this to:

1. Experiment with the rank of ideas (representing their priority) without committing these changes across all views in your project
  2. Use formula fields to sort ideas, and then make a few changes manually
  3. Create views that rank ideas differently depending on which stakeholder you're sharing the view with

Here's a quick demo:

Let us know if you'd like to try that, and we'll turn this on for your Jira Product Discovery.

Cheers,

Tanguy

34 comments

Comment

Charles Cardwell February 21, 2022

We would like to try this please - looks great! 

Also - is there any way to share a view externally without exporting to a png (and without viewers needing to be a JIRA user?)

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Michael Villis February 21, 2022

Eager to try it out. Please consider enabling on my tenant (wfscorp)

Karl Mentzer February 21, 2022

Yes please Tanguy. If you can enable for our tenant that would be great. 

Matt Saxby February 21, 2022

We would be keen to give this a go :) 

Suzanna Prins February 21, 2022

We would like to try this. :)

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2022

Done! I've turned this on for y'all. 

Quick disclaimer: currently, if you convert a sort (based on a field) to a rank, or convert a view rank to a project rank, it does it for ALL ideas in the project, not only the ones that show in the view. 

We are updating this so only the ideas that are visible are re-ranked in the project. 

Like Suzanna Prins likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2022

@Charles Cardwell not yet but this is something we have on the roadmap. What's your use case for this? thanks!

Charles Cardwell February 22, 2022

Thanks @Tanguy Crusson - So we have several external stakeholders we would like to share a 'live' view with (or potentially include in an area of our site) rather than sending a fixed snapshot.  We use the public link feature in Confluence to share things like this externally, so would be great to have the similar option here. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2022

Thanks @Charles Cardwell - are these external stakeholders customers or other stakeholders? What would you expect them to be able to do once they open a view you share with them? Also: would you expect the view to be fully public, or just accessible by specific people?

Charles Cardwell February 22, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson - we have both.  My ideal would be that I could create a (non-editable) view only view and then share this by creating a (very difficult to guess!) - public link.  I would see sharing to externals as for informative purposes only.  If I wanted some sort of interaction with the view, I would expect to have to invite them as 'official' JIRA users to do so.  However, that is not a requirement for my organisation at this time - just the 'view only' functionality. 

Seth Mason February 22, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson I would like to test this out.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2022

@Seth Mason done

Michael Villis February 23, 2022

Works well! I created a dedicated customer segment view and turned on view ranking. Only blocker is when I setup a project with `Limited` permissions they are unable to rank issues themselves. I didn’t see a Rank permission I could give them either without opening up the project? Any ideas?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2022

@Michael Villis That's actually expected behaviour. "Limited" means that anyone on the Jira site can view, comment on, and vote for issues - but not edit them. We currently consider ranking is equivalent to editing ideas, but I can totally see the case where you'd ask people to rank ideas, as it could be a form of vote.

Is that what you're trying to do? 

In any case: today you'd need to add people as Team members (or make the project open) for that to work. HOWEVER we're planning to make this a separate permission so you can decide to create a new role (e.g. "stakeholder") and give them the permission to rank ideas.

Like Michael Villis likes this

@Tanguy Crusson That's exactly the use case. Being able to create a dedicated role and tweak the ranking permission is perfect. A nice to have would be to lock down a view so only certain people could rank certain cards (ideally I wouldn't want some customers meddling with other customer's ranked list). Not the end of the world.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2022

OK thank you @Michael Villis and that makes total sense. 

have you tried the voting field as well? you can use it to share with someone and allocate a budget (e.g. $10) and spread it across ideas. Which could be another way to approach that. 

We'll definitely add the permissions thing for ranking. 

Like Michael Villis likes this
Vilius Zigmantas February 23, 2022

Looks amazing. Would like to have it enabled on our instance - would help to "sell" and expedite PD project type adoption in the organization. Thanks in advance.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2022
Like Vilius Zigmantas likes this

@Tanguy Crusson Just added a vote field and will try that out with customers too. Can see both being useful. Really nice you included a voting constraint!

Adam Wignall March 4, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson could we get this enabled for our instance please? 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2022
Like Adam Wignall likes this
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2022

Yes, please!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2022
Like elizabeth_jones likes this
Lu Reed April 13, 2022

I'd love to try it out as well! 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2022

@Lu Reed done.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events