Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing: Calculate delivery progress based on story points

We’ve spent the last few months talking to customers to understand how they need Jira Product Discovery and Jira Software to work together to get the most value.

We’re excited to announce that delivery progress can now better reflect the size of your delivery tickets. Easily manage how you present the delivery progress field using either issue count or story points.

Delivery progress for an idea can be based on the number of issues in a specific status or the number of issue story points per status. With the launch of story points to estimate delivery progress, you can better communicate plans and progress to stakeholders.

Creators can configure the delivery progress field:

1. Click the Delivery progress field to open the Delivery tab, or select a specific idea and go to the Delivery tab.

2. On the Delivery tab, click the delivery progress bar, and then select Configure delivery progress.

3. From the dropdowns, choose the most suitable options to display the delivery progress:

1. Default or Simple for the estimation type

2. Issue count or Story points for the estimation values

Learn more details about the estimation rules and configuration options. 

Please note that the story point estimate field from Team-Managed Projects is not supported at the moment. This feature is only supported in Company-Managed Projects at this time.

Tutorial: Learn how to manage delivery progress

We are excited to continue this journey with you and deliver more value with the Jira Product Discovery and Jira Software integration, there’s plenty more to come.

Cheers,

Rohan, JPD Product Manager

8 comments

Alexandre MATHIEU
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 21, 2023

Hi, do you have any planning on making it available for Team-Managed Projects ?

Mike Gargano November 22, 2023

This is a really cool feature, but I'd like to bring up a flaw that I've noticed just based on how my team is using Jira Software.

Before Jira Product Discovery we didn't really have a good way for our Product Managers to manage initiatives at a high level. So we added an additional hierarchy of ticket in Jira Software above Epic for Initiatives. 

We wanted to use these tickets to get a high level overview of the project. So we rolled-up our story points through the ticket hierarchy using automation. Story -> SUM -> Epic -> SUM -> Initiative.

Example: This is 30 points of work.

Initiative 30 SP

• Epic 15 SP
    • Story 5 SP
    • Story 5 SP
    • Story 5 SP
  • Epic 15 SP
    • Story 6 SP
    • Story 6 SP
    • Story 3 SP

We're tracking 30 Story Points worth of work over the entire project. However, the Delivery Progress field in JPD counts this as 90 points of work because it doesn't realize we're rolling story points up through the ticket hierarchy. 

I also have a field in Jira Software that tracks the amount of remaining story points by adding up the sum of completed tickets (in a done status category) and subtracting that value from the SUM of story points for all of the tickets using an automation.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Blackburn February 1, 2024

Love the tutorial - super clear to explain how to do this!

Like Rohan Swami likes this
Valentina Migliore February 12, 2024

@Rohan Swami is this available for team-managed projects yet?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2024

@Alexandre MATHIEU @Valentina Migliore it's currently not in our roadmap to support this for Team-managed projects. Thanks for sharing your feedback, I've recorded it for future prioritisation. If anyone else needs support for team-managed projects, please like this comment.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2024

@Mike Gargano Thanks for sharing your feedback, I've recorded it for future prioritisation. Initially, we're going with the approach of including both epics and stories because that's what's done in Jira Plans for rollups, and most customers we spoke to are trying to replicate this behaviour.

Karin van Driel April 2, 2024

@Rohan Swami , 
This is very cool, I missed this announcement when it came out!
Just wondering, is Epic the highest level at which we can link to the idea? Similar to Mike, we have a hierarchy set up in Jira with a parent issue above the Epic (although we do not do the rollup like his org does) and it would be really cool if we could link the parent issue, else we need to maintain the linking in two places... Is this something you are planning for?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2024

@Karin van Driel you can link an idea to issues from any level, including above the Epic level. And then you can choose between the Simple and Default calculations (I presume you'll want the Default version). If you had Initiative above Epic and ideas were linked to Initiatives, then the Default calculation would be based on the Story points for Epics. You can put story points on the Epics, or roll them up as discussed.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events