πŸ”₯ Feedback needed ! New field management

Hello everyone! πŸ‘‹πŸ½

We are happy to present you the new field management experience in Jira Product Discovery πŸ₯³

The goal of this new experience is to:

• Ease the process of re-ordering enabled and disabled fields,
  • Remove the confusion between "Hide", "Remove from view", and "Delete" actions
  • Avoid accidental deletion of a field and its data 😱
  • Provide more clarity on which fields are available in a project, to avoid duplicates and overlapping fields, 
  • Help you create fields faster,

You can see a demo of this new experience in this video ⬇️

Let us know what you think about this new experience, we are looking for your feedback, comments, and questions below before making it publicly available πŸš€ !

Cheers, 

Hermance

16 comments

Comment

Jonathan Hau July 28, 2022

This update is SO GOOD! It is certainly an improvement and makes updating, ordering, and deleting fields far better!

Like β€’ Hermance NDounga likes this
brent.johnson July 28, 2022

Love the updates @Hermance NDounga 

• I like that the create field is now easier πŸ”₯
  • I'd love to see the active fields option as the default.
  • I'd love to see the active fields option and all fields be a tab vs. the drop down so that it's easier access (one less click), probably above or below the search.
Like β€’ # people like this
Oliver Murray July 28, 2022

The full list view + toggle is much clearer, thanks!

With the ordering:

• Does this mean there will be a default/master order for all views?
  • Can that order be rearranged on specific views if needed without affecting the default/master?

I see you can filter for active fields but I wasn't clear if any new ordering with that filter on would override the master list or just apply to the current view.

I would like to retain the ability to custom order fields in specific views so I can keep the key info in an order that makes sense to the tailored view. 

Thanks

Nate Dame July 28, 2022

Very helpful!!!!

As a product person I'm very curious, why did you decide to keep this interaction in the right sidebar? 

Users can already add, remove, and reorder columns from the column header. What ALSO give them this ability in this right sidebar? 

I can totally see how it works. However, there's a bit of cognitive dissonance - for example, when you reorder up/down in the right panel, columns move left/right. In addition, you can add, remove, and reorder columns two entirely different ways, which seems unnecessary :)

Update definitely improves it and adds clarity! Just curious on the strategy! :)

Jonathan Hau July 28, 2022

@Nate Dame - I think there is value in keeping the interaction in the right sidebar. Atlassian team only recently added the add, remove, and drag-n-drop to reorder columns. If I have more than 20 columns (or a small screen size), it's cumbersome to have to scroll right to left constantly to do any of those actions. So, I believe having the ability to do it in the right sidebar makes it far easier in situations with many columns (or small screen).

Pieter Bezuijen July 28, 2022

Wow, this looks awesome!

maxencetaieb July 29, 2022

Nice update.

New request for field management: convert a field to an other field, or at least being able to switch from single select to multi select.

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2022

Nice update ... makes it easier to manage fields..

Nate Dame July 29, 2022

@Jonathan Hau sure, I can respect that!

But, if it's cumbersome to scroll thru 20 columns to manage them, doesn't that also mean it would likely be cumbersome for most people to view those 20 columns?

My opinion is driven by the fact that giving users the same abilities in two places multiples the  long-term maintenance by two (or more) while NOT doubling value (they're the same features), and possibly adding complexity/confusion for the user.

Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2022

I like this experience a lot more :) Much less confusion! Thanks for this update

Jonathan Hau August 2, 2022

@Nate Dame - you have a good point! It makes sense. I guess I was thinking about how many other tools like MS Excel, gSheets, Airtable, Smartsheets, etc have more than 1 way of doing the same thing which makes customizing a table view easier to manage depending on the need. 

Ever since Atlassian added the gridlines to the list view, I started to think of JPD more like a good looking spreadsheet.

Like β€’ Nate Dame likes this
Nate Dame August 2, 2022

Interesting @Jonathan Hau. I can't think of Excel or gSheets allowing you to do things more than one way though. I haven't looked though or tried to find that - I'd be real curious (again more as a product person not so much a JPD user :) ) what those features are?

Regardless, 100% absolutely agree that JPD tables can/should be like a good spreadsheet. Almost like spreadsheet features are turning into table stakes (for Jira in general maybe one day??!!? :) ).

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2022

Hi everyone! As usual thanks a lot about your feedback. Based on this we made a few tweaks and turned on the new field management experience for the people who gave us feedback. Please let us know if you face any issue!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2022

Hi @Nate Dame

As a product person I'm very curious, why did you decide to keep this interaction in the right sidebar? 

@Jonathan Hau makes great points, and there's also the following: 

We're trying to create a system that works across all view types: list, board, matrix, and there are more coming. This menu will work the same across all views (add fields, reorder fields in the view, hide/show fields quickly, etc.)

Then we also invest in building convenience features in each view to make it easier to do that directly inline. Something that's easy to do in a list view (we use pretty well established patterns there), less so in other views. This also helps us reduce the initial scope of what needs to be done to create a new type of view - we test the view first, and then if it gets adoption we add the convenience features. 

Nate Dame August 19, 2022

Got it @Tanguy Crusson that makes a lot of sense! Thank you for sharing that, great insight.

Like β€’ Tanguy Crusson likes this
Katarzyna
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 23, 2022

Hi!

I'm so surprised with this new design. It seems more clear πŸ’ͺ But still I have one confusion: what is the difference between "Hide from view" and "Remove from view"? I guess that the effect in the table is the same... Or am I wrong?

Like β€’ Tanguy Crusson likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events