cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does JIRA have not like?

陈思远
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 18, 2022

Hello,

How can I use not like "blocking" similar to SQL

I need to remove the problem of "blocking" keyword in a field through advanced search function. How should I use it?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not too sure that I understand the question, but I think it is about searching text fields?

Jira uses "contains" (which I think is not the best word in English to describe what it does) for text fields, and that is represented with the ~ symbol.

So the query summary ~ penguin will return all issues with the word "penguin" in the summary.  It is a somewhat fuzzy search, and it pretty much ignores punctuation and numbers, more here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/search-syntax-for-text-fields/

One of the problems with that though is that text might contain things that search definitions also use, including spaces.  While summary ~ penguin is ok, summary ~ Emporer penguin will fail, because, after Emporer, the search is expecting an operator next, not penguin.  To fix that, we quote - summary ~ "Emporer penguin"

It's similar for key words.  summary ~ and is going to fail because and is a search operator, and it's not just search terms that will make it fall over.  Again, the fix is quoting it.

Basically, summary ~ "thing to search for" is what you need.

I've used summary because it's a text field I can guarantee you are using, but it's the same for all text fields, even comments.  There is also a trick - you can use text ~ "thing to search for" to search all the text-based fields for an issue!

And then the "not" part of the question - you can invert any search with ! - summary !~ "thing to search for" will list all the issues that do not have the search text in them.

Be careful with ! though.  "Not X" is not the same as "list everything and remove everything matching X"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events